1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Does old spec lang make new spec lit compulsory?

Discussion in 'English' started by LIPPYLADY101, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Hi All,
    We have entered our year 10 for old spec English Language due to a range of factors such as mixed year cohorts which were beyond our control. If pupils gain a grade C or higher on the old spec does that mean that they must be entered for the new spec literature for it to count?
    Similarly if the attained a grade C in their early entry but re-sit the new spec (to get a higher grade) does that mean that they must sit new spec literature also for it to count?
    Any help or advice greatly appreciated!!

2. Hi All,
    We have entered our year 10 for old spec English Language due to a range of factors such as mixed year cohorts which were beyond our control. If pupils gain a grade C or higher on the old spec does that mean that they must be entered for the new spec literature for it to count?
    Similarly if the attained a grade C in their early entry but re-sit the new spec (to get a higher grade) does that mean that they must sit new spec literature also for it to count?
    Any help or advice greatly appreciated!!

3. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

I'm 99% certain the answer to this is "No". Old spec English Language covers the programmes of study through the coursework and the two papers. It should be fine.
    Don't know about this one - very interesting query. I would imagine they can still count the first grade (pre-resit) for the reasons mentioned in my answer to your first query. i would imagine the grade attained on the new spec would have to be supported by a literature entry in order to count, but I don't know for sure. I would say contact the board for a definitive answer.

4. Regent has it right to my understanding as well. Of course, your students could resit Lang in November - which is the last time the old spec will be offered. IF they re-sit Lang with the new Spec, yes, they will have to be entered for Lit. However, if they are not doing Lit at all, they could be re-entered for just English. (But you can't just enter them for Lit with the new Spec, it has to be Lang and Lit entry.)

5. .
    No. The outgoing specification for English covers the requirements of the
    National Curriculum, so your pupils will not need to do new spec Literature.