1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Does being a Teaching Assistant get easier?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by umbrellasky, Sep 19, 2013.

1. I don't want to seem harsh, but if you can't cope as a TA then don't even think about teacher training. I've worked as a TA at Key Stage 3 and 4, (I have a BSc Hons degree) and I wouldn't entertain becoming a teacher aka Social Worker.

wanet likes this.
  2. prenchina

prenchina New commenter

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you are going to stick out the contract, please check the details carefully. You should not resign with the end of July as the resignation date as TAs are usually paid a pro-rata wage, based on about 43 or 44 weeks of employment BUT with the pay spread over 52 weeks. If you started on 1st September, you would want to be paid until 31st August in order to bget the correct amount for the entire school year of working, plus the associated 4 or so paid holiday weeks.

If you decide to leave before the end of the school year, check that you are paid the correct final amount to take account of how many school weeks you worked + the pro-rata holiday element.

Yasmine2014 likes this.
  4. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Are you still working as a TA?

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Different schools can be very different-just because you hate a job in School A doesn't mean you might not love it in School B.

Yasmine2014 likes this.
  6. aayaf24

aayaf24 New commenter

From a graduate with three years experience working in schools as a mentor, TA who is applying for TA jobs left, right and centre made 30 plus applications so far to schools up and down the country, it's interesting and useful to hear different perspectives on the jobs.

I believe only you will be answer the 'will it get easier' question. It's a tough one. I am for one, sympathetic to your plight. All schools are different but one thing connects them all, they will all have their own challenges.

It sounds to me that there are two issues are stake here:
    1.lack of meaningful, structural support for a new TA
    2.(I don't want to sound harsh) your attitude to the children

The first one is easy to explain, with any new job, guidance and support are to be part and parcel, especially working with children and vulnerable adults. You need to raise the issue of lack of support, asap. If the school management team give two figs about the well-being of their staff and pupils then this problem should be rectified, it's not acceptable that a new TA is thrown in the deep end with no support. Keep a record of stressful situations, times/dates/names so you can build a good case.

Secondly, your use of language is a little surprising to me. 'Constant nagging?' That is not your role and you shouldn't be nagging them. That's the parent's/carers job! Your role is to guide and support them at a crucial stage in their development. Yes, children will misbehave. No, they won't listen to you the first time, or even the second time. I think deep down you wish the children are all angels who sit quietly at their desk with bright smiles. Kid's are wise and they will notice a TA or teacher who is haggered and harrassed. It will have an effect on them.

With the request for support, behaviour management should be a focal point. You can say you're not confident in managing behaviour and you're worried you're not providing adequate support for the kids as a result of this, the management will listen to you.

As for kids being noisy, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I can hear my local primary from 200ft away in my bedroom...

Have faith in yourself to stick it through for one year if you're certain working with children is not for you. You've been strong and resilient up until now.

7. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

It's an old thread resurrected. I doubt she is still working as a TA!

8. rbashir11

rbashir11 New commenter

I work as a TA and can't wait to start my teacher training in September. I find TA job not very rewarding because TAs never get any credit for their work. Yes, I think behaviour management is harder for TAs because teachers have more authority and children know that so therefore respect teachers more.

evajoseph likes this.
  9. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Hi there- to the OP i suggest that you give this more time. Remember that children are still learning to navigate their way through life, and will open up to you. They are still developing their emotions, feelings and how to communicate so try not to control every little thing. You wont be able too and you will soon realise that they all have their own petsonalities.

May i ask what your job duties/responsibilities are as i am starting my first proper TA job and feel a little nervous as to what to expect.

Any experienced TA's that can offer some friendly advice.

I have brought the Level 3 handbook.

10. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Hi TA Kim. Have you any words if advice for someone such as myself who hasn't done the NVQ. I have some experience of primary education, not exactly key stage 2, so what i have been doing is looking at the key stage 2 curriculum etc.

11. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

OP - Year 6 can be tricky in terms of behaviour. A lot depends on the overall atmosphere that is created by the teacher and the school, if high expectations are not being shown across the board then you won't be able to achieve them on your own. Does the teacher find behaviour management of the class difficult as well?

A younger year group and a different teacher could well make all the difference.

12. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Zombie thread alert !

Bumptious likes this.
  13. naturaljazz

naturaljazz New commenter

As a TA who has worked on behaviour teams. The main thing is to concentrate on the ones who are doing the right thing, keeping to the rules, who are being respectful, safe and ready to learn.Praise praise and praise. You will feel so much better and form relationships with the kids.

pickles124 likes this.
  14. KayBray

KayBray New commenter

This is so key! It's about turning those negatives into learning opportunities.