1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Does anyone have GCSE science grade descriptors???

Discussion in 'Science' started by nicki_p, Jun 23, 2009.

1. nicki_p

nicki_p New commenter

We have been told to make 'Displays for Learning' including 'What can I do to improve?' posters! In my mind....'How do I improve?'.....the answer is.....'know more'! But I know they're looking for a little more than this (obviously!). On the AQA site they provide grade descriptors for a Grade A, Grade C and Grade F students, but they're all very similarly worded. I'm trying to fill in the gaps for grade A*, B etc, but its tricky. Also struggling to think of 'improvements' other than 'know more', 'revise', 'turn up to school'!!
    Has anyone had to do something similar that I could pinch??! Or any guidance as to how I could approach this.
    Thanks in advance!!! [​IMG]

2. Cornholio

Cornholio New commenter

Have a look at this .pdf. This is the format that I use for KS3/4/5.
    http://sites.google.com/site/chemistrychimp/Home/C1A-Iron%26Steel.pdf
    If you have done this for KS3 then doing them for other Key Stages or even other subjects will be a doddle. The key thing is the use of key phrases.
    Grade E is a 'List' task
    Grade D a 'State' task
    Grade C 'Describe'
    Grade B 'Explain' (simple, using word equations)
    Grade A 'Explain' (detailed, using balanced symbol equations)
    Grade A* 'Link' (all of the above brought together. The student must then link in some other related (direct or indirect) topic or subject and apply their understanding to it)
    There may be other systems and I'm sure some people will disagree with the way that I've done it but I know it works for me with my students. Once you have the basic framework, these can be used for numerous T&L tasks (Homework/Classwork/Revision/AFL/Peer Assessment) and you can also incorporate them into videos, powerpoints, VLEs, lesson delivery programmes, displays etc etc.
    Good Luck

chemsci likes this.
  3. Thats brill cornholio thanks for sharing. Being a bit cheeky (my theory is if you dont ask you dont get) I saw on your chemistry chimp page instructions for an assessment tracker /lesson planner. It looks amazing -is it something you are developing of if you bought it where did you get it from and how much was it?
    Sorry if you think im being too forward its just i have been looking for something similar for a while.
    I have a spreadsheet we have just developed to track the new KS3 APP graphically for each individual student which id be happy to share if you want it[​IMG]

4. Cornholio

Cornholio New commenter

Thanks bidd1980, kind words indeed. The lesson planner deally (http://sites.google.com/site/chemistrychimp/Home/LARAOverview2009.pdf) is all my own work (even the black and white plasticised periodic table background and the iphone style buttons [​IMG] ) and I have developed it in the last three years of the five years I have been teaching. The grade descriptor thing is a big part of it as you can see and I have been using this latest version of it for a full school year now and I am very pleased with the impact it has on my students.
    Unfortunately I have not yet got a version that I am 100% happy to give to others due to the training involved and the support that I would have to provide. At the moment I am looking at isolating various functions and having them as standalone programmes but that would take time and, to some degree, undermine many of the benefits of the complete programme.
    Anyhoo I could go on but I don't want to bore you and we don't want to hijack nikki_p's original thread so lets just say grade descriptors are easy to write, once you get the knack so to speak. Once you have them they can inform the majority of your teaching, learning and assessment if you wish. (A great time saver).
    TOP TIP: Don't put too much thought into them.

5. In terms of grade descriptors I have produced a list of "skills" that are required for each grade. It might be a little rough but you're more than welcome to it. In addition I have checklists for each of the topics we teach which cover what the pupils need to know.
    If you're keen on any of this then I'm happy to pass them to you, but not really sure how, but drop me an email at tesonline2009@laelias.org.uk

6. nicki_p

nicki_p New commenter

Thanks so much guys! Really helpful!
    Nicki

7. nicki_p

nicki_p New commenter

8. Surely they must be available online with some Governmental quango or other????
    And therefor paper copies can hence be downloaded and placed next to the exam script you happen to be marking???

9. wow, i just had a look at your markbook...and to say the least, IT IS AWESOME. well done bud. even though as you say its in developmental stage, would it be possible for me to have a trial version, so i can muck around with it for victoria, australian conditions? i can understand if you cant/wont...but heres hoping. most of all i wanted to say to keep up this good work.

10. howdy again
    Cornholio,

i was just lookling at your site and noticed that you had a beta version but there is no link or attachment.

11. Cornholio

Cornholio New commenter

esilio, you would have also noticed the blurb trails off with 'not finished' at the bottom, I had to stop a few days ago and I haven't had the chance to go back to it. [​IMG]
    Anyway, I am adding features that users can customise, unit/module names for a start. I am also trying to prepare a short 'how to' so people can access help if they get stuck (although most of it is self explanatory i think [​IMG] )
    I need to change the scoring system for marks entered because it is set up for AQA GCSE/GCE and scores entered are converted into points for the AQA courses. This won't suit everybody so I am trying to devise a system whereby users can decide how they will record marks (% or raw score for example) and how this contributes to the students performance and progress. This will be tricky and I will have to think about it a bit before I make the changes. (What I will also need is a few people to look at it and suggest improvements or find bugs.)
    Anyway, again this thread is in danger of being hijacked so maybe I should post a new one looking for ideas and suggestions for things to incorporate for the major exam boards and courses. When I have the file ready for testing the link will go up.
    send me an email here mrchemistry@live.co.uk and I'll give you a shout when the beta file is ready in a week or so.
    Thanks for taking an interest.

12. Hi
    I have been trying to access your grade descriptors on the website but it says the link is broken, have you moved them and are they still available.
    Thanks

13. Hi. I am a newbie to this site so please bear with me. I tried the site but the link does not work. Would love to have a look at the markbook. Please guide. Thanks.

14. gita_geetanjali

gita_geetanjali New commenter

Hi Cornholio, your explaination is so easy to understand for a trainee like me. Thanks. The link is not working though.

15. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Ancient link to out of date specifications!

16. Cornholio

Cornholio New commenter

Hi, here is a similar file; any questions, let me know.

Attached Files:

17. Educake

Educake New commenter

This is the descriptors we use for the grading of our questions on Educake Science. After talking to many different teachers, we decided to describe the skills that a student working towards that grade should successfully have.

All students, working towards grades G and above (knowledge and comprehension)
    • Primarily low level questions requiring simple recall, labelling, naming or describing. There may be some simple calculations or extraction of data involved from bar charts or simple tables.

Students working towards grades D and above (application and analysis)

• More conceptually challenging or more complicated questions involving some synthesis or processing of information, or simple calculations.
    • Here you will find questions where there are calculations, usually one step. These will involve using a formula and students might need to perform a simple manipulation. Graph work involves some extraction of data and reading values.

Students working towards grades B and above (synthesis and evaluation)

• Questions that are much more conceptually challenging, require synthesis and processing of information, evaluation of information, or complex calculations. These questions might contain multiple step calculations, possibly involving a formula. Students might need to manipulate the formula or convert the units. The data for the answer might need to be processed before use. Graph work involves extraction of multiple pieces of data and identifying values from line graphs. Some extrapolation might be required.

18. Teaching_Tricks

Teaching_Tricks Occasional commenter

I'd love to be able to see these - but can't access them as permission is forbidden :(

19. Teaching_Tricks

Teaching_Tricks Occasional commenter

OOooo I so love educake :D setting quizzes that are level and descriptor specific, that students can do from any PC/tablet...
    Marked for me, with students able to query their answers (most of the odd spellings are caught and marked appropriately) but the ability to feedback on the quiz answers is great...
    And the WWW/EBI to fill in...

Love it....

Oh can I make these descriptors into a poster for my classroom?