1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help- do I stay?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dan91193, Feb 28, 2016.

1. dan91193

dan91193 New commenter

Hi,
    Having a bit of a mini crisis at the moment.
    I'm currently in my NQT and am really enjoying my first year. I have no issues with the school I'm in and enjoying it all massively.
    My other half lives at the other side of the country and is currently really ill, we have been unable to see each other since Christmas due to work and her illness and she is due to have an operation soon.
    We have been looking at me moving over there in September to provide more support and help, providing I could get a job.
    Only problem is how would I let my headteacher know as if I was unable to get a job then I'd be happy to stay on at the school!! I would understand completely if they said I wouldn't be able to stay but if I gave them enough notice, eg told them in Easter and look until half term and if I was unsuccessful then I would stay and the other half would consider moving here.

I don't want to mess them around as the school has been really good to me and like I said, I wouldn't expect favours from the head as its a professional place of work.

Any comments or similar experiences would be appreciated.

2. mantilla

mantilla New commenter

I would just be honest with them - you love the school, but circumstances mean you need to look for work near your other half (and I would give some details if you feel comfortable enough to do that) but that if you are unable to find something then you would love to stay on. You would have to tell your head you were looking anyway as you would need to ask them to provide a reference.

dan91193 and marlin like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you love the school, then your head must be a decent sort.
    Just go and see them and explain the situation. They'll be fine.

Start looking now though, don't leave it until Easter.

dan91193 likes this.