1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Help! .. Dissertation Ideas ..

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emhodge1, May 29, 2011.

1. Hi I am just finishing my third year of my BEd course and I need to hand in my proposal form for my dissertation this week. I am interested in behaviour and classroom management as well as talk in the classroom. I am not sure what my key questions should be?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hi I am just finishing my third year of my BEd course and I need to hand in my proposal form for my dissertation this week. I am interested in behaviour and classroom management as well as talk in the classroom. I am not sure what my key questions should be?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I am currently writing my dissertation for a masters and it took me quite a while to finalise my research questions. This was only possible after I had narrowed down my focus considerably.
    The 2 ideas you have suggested seem totally unrelated to me. Even if you take one of them I think you need to narrow down a huge amount otherwise you will find the actual research impossible.
    What type of research are you planning on doing - case study? action research?
    I assume you will be focusing on your own practice and how it impacts on your chosen area. A good piece of advice I was given was for the question to be a 'how' question.
    Hope this helps you to focus a bit more clearly!
    Carrie [​IMG]

4. I dont know my placement for my final year so it would be hard to do a case study as I'm not sure of the class I will have :( ..
    I was thinking along the lines of something on how rewards effect classroom management.

The importance of talk in the classroom is a real interest to me although it is a very wide area which I think will be hard to be specific although how collaborative group work aids learning is an idea.

5. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I think the talk idea would probably be easier to develop particularly as you could try different strategies with different groups or adapt your strategies as you go.
    This would be much harder with rewards and classroom management as I have found that different children respond to different strategies.
    There is a lot of literature out there so perhaps if you read around your area of interest, you will begin to formulate a plan.
    Carrie [​IMG]

6. Thanks Very Much I will look into what literature there is :) x

7. Perhaps intrinsic vs extrinsic rewards and how extrinsic may or may not lead to intrinsic motivation for learning. You could then definitely use case studies, whatever your class as you could try the different extrinsic rewards to see how well they motivate.
    I wrote an essay on this and there is loads of literature in books and journals.

8. @ emhodge1
    Hiya, i'm in the 3rd yr of my BEd course as well and have to hand in my proposal soon!!!
    And I came across this. My first idea was on mathematics and ethnicity how children with ethnical background have the highest maths grades and researche on maths teachings but i thought this was to wide and would make my life too difficult
    and I really liked your second idea about collabrative work and wanted to know if you came up with a question for it because I have been trying but they dn't sound good.
    Kind Regards