1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Did I make the wrong choice when I decided to teach??

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by newkidsontheblock, Oct 13, 2011.

1. newkidsontheblock

newkidsontheblock New commenter

Hi Dan
    Nice to meet an other overseas teacher.As you have guessed it,I am an overseas teacher who used -and you guessed it!- to be a foreign language assisstant and is now a fully qualified teacher and has been since 2004. Your first year as a NQT is always the hardest but the one you will learn new strategies foe behaviour management and teachign techniques.

I would advise you not to give up on the first wall: behaviour management. If they told you,you were doing ok. Trust me and them, you are doing ok. What is next for you, i to sit down, relax and reflect on the behaviour you had in each of the classes you have been teaching today and decide what to do next for X to behave,Z to keep quiet,etc. You can ask the pupils what they like to do best: is it written task,oral task,research task,etc and re-model your lessons towards their needs.
    I do not know if yiou are French but I remember in July 1998 there was a football fan who wrote during the football world cup : "IMPOSSIBLE N'EST PAS FRANCAIS". I have kept that thought in mind over my teaching years :"impossible is not French". You can do it! You need to experience first,learn from your msitakes/experiences and grow/develop your teaching skills/strategies.

I started teaching in 1999,year 2000 I was a FLA now since 2003 I've been teaching and simply adores it.I am not bragging,I am trying to encourage you to carry on.

Besides,if you quit teaching tomorrow morning, have you thought of your plan B? [I mean:what would you be doing that would make you happy each day?]
    I have! Alongside teaching, I am running my own business.

newkidsontheblock [​IMG]

2. newkidsontheblock

newkidsontheblock New commenter

Hi Dan
    Nice to meet an other overseas teacher.As you have guessed it,I am an overseas teacher who used -and you guessed it!- to be a foreign language assisstant and is now a fully qualified teacher and has been since 2004. Your first year as a NQT is always the hardest but the one you will learn new strategies foe behaviour management and teaching techniques.

I would advise you not to give up on the first wall: behaviour management. If they told you,you were doing ok. Trust me and them, you are doing ok. What is next for you, i to sit down, relax and reflect on the behaviour you had in each of the classes you have been teaching today and decide what to do next for X to behave,Z to keep quiet,etc. You can ask the pupils what they like to do best: is it written task,oral task,research task,etc and re-model/re-plan your lessons payign attention to their needs.
    I do not know if you are French but I remember in July 1998 there was a football fan who wrote during the football world cup : "IMPOSSIBLE N'EST PAS FRANCAIS". I have kept that thought in mind over my teaching years :"impossible is not French". You can do it! You need to experience first,learn from your msitakes/experiences and grow/develop your teaching skills/strategies.

I started teaching in 1999,year 2000 I was a FLA now since 2003 I've been teaching and simply adores it.I am not bragging,I am trying to encourage you to carry on.

Besides,if you quit teaching tomorrow morning, have you thought of your plan B? [I mean:what would you be doing that would make you happy each day?]
    I have! Alongside teaching, I am running my own business.

newkidsontheblock [​IMG]

3. Thanks!

You really cheered me up! :)

It's good to see that there's other people who have been in the same situation and were able to survive the first year teaching.

I think I'm going to keep trying, I don't like giving up and I think if do, I'd regret it sooner or later.

thanks a lot!