1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!! Demonstration Lesson!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by AJArmstron, May 13, 2011.

1. Hi. I have to do a demonstration lesson on Monday and have just been given the below information to teach the topic:
    <ul style="margin-top:0cm;"><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;color:black;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Half an hour teaching task to prepare<li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;color:black;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Year 9 lesson, start of GCSE course Unit 1 AQA Handling Data<li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;color:black;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">An introduction to statistical diagrams, with real life applications<li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;color:black;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Class is 9S3 Foundation C[/LIST] To put it mildly I would be grateful for any ideas as to what I should do!

2. Thank you for your posts. I am more stuck on what the contents of the lesson should be! I need to quickly think of an idea (and run with it) or pull out.

3. It would be a good plan to seek out the poster Betamale, who if he hasn't posted here soon you may want to try messaging him for ideas!

4. By contents, do you mean the mathematical content (in which case the first post should answer that for you). Or do you mean that activities, resources and order of events?
    If the latter, then that is part of what the interviewers are judging you on ... so it needs to be your ideas really. (In actual fact, that very same link includes lesson plans and resources!)
    There are plenty of people on here who will give honest, constructive and very useful feedback if you say what your ideas are ... there are very few, however, who will come up with those ideas for you.
    Surely you must have AN idea!? Post back with some details and people will help.
    You said it!

5. Hi AJArmstron,
    Two thoughts:
    1) You should look at the specification to see what should be taught - this has already been suggested and is absolutely sensible.
    2) It sounds as if this is a job interview. If you can't think of a single idea for this lesson then are you sure you are ready to plan and teach 20 hours of lessons each week? If you think you aren't then is it fair on the kids at the school for you to apply?
    Good luck - I hope you manage to pull some ideas together.

6. Just a bit of humour! [​IMG]

7. Its a swipe and a poor one. Im sorry you feel you need to post something like this, especially when you have not added to the thread in any capacity
    Feel free to PM me your humour in future

8. Hi. Yes - I looked at the AQA site before starting this entire thread. Unfortunately, it is vague and it is not clear which AQA syllabus is being followed by the school. I have to do some kind of lesson on "an introduction to statistical diagrams with real life application" to Year 9 who are starting GCSE and are Foundation level.
    I am thinking of doing:
    Starter - match graph pictures with graph names with description of graph.
    Main - draw a simple pie chart, line chart and bar chart. If people finish think of three questions about each chart or answer some questions I found in a year 7 top set text book!
    Plenary - what are the limitations of pie charts. (I have two slides with a question on).
    I hope this will be good enough!???
    Can anyone improve on this?

9. arsinh

arsinh New commenter

This could unravel very quickly if you discover they cannot use a protractor, let alone draw a pie chart.

10. KYP

KYP New commenter

Hi,
    Actually you said they are doing Unit1 - so it is clear which specification they are using. But the content is the same anyway!
    Personally, I'd stay away from drawing diagrams - it is an introduction to statistical diagrams, and drawing pie charts, in particular, can be really challenging and time consuming. (In the last AQA Foundation Unit 1 exam, the average mark on the pie chart question was 2 out of 4) Have you seen the Census at School website? (http://www.censusatschool.org.uk/resources/data-handling) There's lots of real-life stuff there, which might be helpful, including, I recall, some graphs that have titles missing, labels wrong etc.
    But you have made a start, and it has to be what you feel comfortable with!

11. I would go with reading and interpreting

You can show outcomes in the lesson

Else they spend 20 mins drawing a set of axes incorrectly or have no idea how many degrees in a circle

12. Agreed - I wouldn't consider doing what you were thinking of in a 30 min lesson as there's a good chance you won't really be able to move the pupils on enough. I'm not just saying that because it's an interview lesson (I don't believe in doing anything differently when being observed - and my mentor will back me up on that) either - if, by some timetabling mixup I only had half a lesson to do the above then I'd completely change my plan.
    There's a very strong probability that you will have to go off piste (not a bad thing) and take two or three steps backwards to fill in the gaps in their knowledge (again, not a bad thing), and if that happens you're likely to find that your half hour flies by VERY quickly.
    Pick maybe two types of statistical diagrams, look at reading and interpreting (and correcting/spotting mistakes) and possibly drawing one as an extension task.

13. Hi. Thank you for all of your posts. I was thinking of making a worksheet where the class had to draw a bar chart, line graph and pie chart on an outline provided (hence no need to draw axes for themselves etc..). I agree the angles on a pie chart could be problematic (unless using frequencies that add up to 360 or 180). However, one could use a sector approach.
    If one sticks to interpreting graphs what would you suggest focusing on?
    Many thanks!

14. AJ

You should, of course, do what you think best

What will be your learning outcome for the lesson that you describe?

15. Thank you for your post. I am thinking if students are interpreting graphs am I correct in assuming that they are answering questions like "what is the modal value, what is the range ...." (as in Key Stage 3). Part of my problem is I do not have an AQA GCSE text book or AQA exam/specimen questions (my stuff is all Edexcel which I don't recall finding any interpreting graphs questions).
    The lesson is about an introduction to GCSE statistical graphs. The objective is to interpret and draw graphs.
    For the teaching part of the "main" lesson I could have a graph on the board and ask some questions like what is the highest value, what is the range .... Covering certain maths words. Then let the students answer some questions on a printed sheet.

16. And the Learning Outcome?

What do you expect them to learn in 30 minutes?

17. Different chart names to chart types.
    How to interpret certain charts. Key information sought (e.g. mode, patterns in the data, range).
    How to draw certain charts.
    Why certain charts may be used (e.g. limitations of pie charts).

18. They will learn ALL of that in 30 minutes?

Do you really think so?

19. Go back to the first reply ... everything you're asking for (OK, maybe not the text book) is on that link.
    Pick one thing to focus on which you want them to be able to do by the end of the lesson (the learning outcome), use this to decide on or design your plenary. Then work backwards from there. Only 30 mins, so don't aim too high.