1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Date ideas needed!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by skt107, Aug 8, 2011.

1. I met a guy who lives in a different city, and he's driving up to see me later this week! I'm very excited...but this also means that I have to plan a whole day out - argh! Boys, what would you like to do if you were going to spend the day with somebody? (Clean answers only please!)

2. I met a guy who lives in a different city, and he's driving up to see me later this week! I'm very excited...but this also means that I have to plan a whole day out - argh! Boys, what would you like to do if you were going to spend the day with somebody? (Clean answers only please!)

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Depends on where you live, to be honest.
    From where I am, I'd go out to Whitby for the day. Lots to do and look at, even if you're just wandering around. There's the coast to go for a long walk, and lots of fish and chip shops to eat in.
    However, if it's going to rain, how about doing something silly like going ten-pin bowling, or doing an activity together like indoor rock climbing? (you can book an instructor to show you the ropes - pun intended - then can have some climbing time by yourselves).
    I don't know...just throwing a few ideas out there...

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hey, i'm not a guy but thought i'd reply anyway :D

When I've had a whole day out in the past, i've tried to make sure we've gone somewhere which has loads to do. Luckily I leave near the sea so with my current bf, was able to play mini golf, go in arcades, eat chips and icecream and walk along the front holding hands, etc.

Also done a zoo as well. Wouldn't recommend just going into a town center really, I did that once and neither of us wanted to shop so we hung about all day and drank coffee... Didn't see him again after that! lol!

5. SarahWesson

SarahWesson New commenter

Are there any touristy type places near you? A castle or park or something where there's information and things to look at, and always a few places to eat.
    I like the zoo idea too!

6. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Whatever you do, do NOT PLAN TOO MUCH!!!
    He is coming to see you,not going on a day-trip to Goole (or wherever)
    For a day, a slightly serious visit (museum, art gallery, stately home) to start, a nice leisurely lunch somewhere where you can talk to each other, and a silly activity in the afternoon

7. Thank you guys! I live in a city, not close enough to the seaside! Was thinking of either going into the city and having lunch, there's always the castle grounds if we get bored. Or packing a picnic and going to the park for the day :-s I just don't know! Not done anything like this in a long time!

8. Oooh zoo sounds like fun too! Hmmm...

9. doomzebra

Picnics are a bit weather-dependent. Plus he might be wearing new pants (pants, snigger*) and not want to sit on the ground.
    Castles are good

*doomzebra is 7

10. I've just looked and rain is forecast for the day he's coming too...rubbish!

11. dande

dande New commenter

Can anybody spend more than an hour in Goole?

12. I've tried it and the answer is... no!! :)

13. doomzebra

Are people from Goole goolies?

14. Yep! I've got a friend who's a Goolie!! :)

15. When I did a teaching placement there, that's how the kids referred to themselves!

16. doomzebra

Oustanding

17. dande

dande New commenter

That's not how you would describe the place!
    Even the motorway is elevated so as not to get too close to the place! A bit like smogside!

18. doomzebra

To be fair, I know nothing about Goole, know no-one from Goole, and have never been near the place - it was a random town plucked from the ether and I would hate for this thread to descend into a Goolie-bashing session.
    Chatham, however, . . . .

19. Anyway.... we digress from OP!! Good luck with your date - hope you have a lovely time whatever you decide to do. xxx

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Ooh - can we please bash Goole? I used to work just outside Goole and had the misfortune of going there regularly with my class and on nights out.
    The waterways museum lasts 20 minutes. There's a nice (ish) walk along the river near the docks. The houses are cheap though.
    Quite how you can pluck it at random though is beyond me.

As for your date - a whole day with someone who you know a little. Some good ideas so far. Nice country park, National trust place with gardens / walks, a shared activity - theme park, zoo - somewhere you can talk, relax and enjoy.
    Hope you have fun.