1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! D&T schemes of work?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Clance, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Clance

Clance New commenter

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if anyone has any ideas about schemes of work for D&T at primary level?

I've just been made faculty leader for the topic but my school has not been teaching the subject as it has been concentrating more on the Art side of Art/DT and so I am kind of starting from scratch, which is both exciting and daunting. There is still some doubt as to how it will be timetabled (eg. weekly or blocked so a class would work on the topic every afternoon for a week every half term).

I'd love any ideas or information from anybody whose school teaches the subject as to how it is timetabled and any schemes of work that are successful and workable in a school that would most likely have to teach in class although with potential for cooking out of class.

Thank you all in advance you wonderful people... bring on the summer :)
    Daniel

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I have a scheme of work for KS2 with a nod towards KS1 which I made last year which I'll try and put up in resources when I can find which hard-drive it's on. (Had to leave teaching at Christmas, so not used resources in awhile.)
    It may help to get you started at least. Don't put your e-mail address on here, but bookmark this page and I'll post when I've found it and put it into resources here.(will be free)

3. Clance

Clance New commenter

Thank you very much, that would be greatly appreciated!! Looking forward to taking a look.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Use the objectives from the NC and link to the topics being studied by the classes.
    So in year 3, if they are studying Rainforests, you probably don't want to be making boxes for chocolates, but could do those if studying the Aztecs.

You absolutely need to look at what DT skills your children have and where they start from. Write the outline for Reception first, then year 1, then 2 and so on building on the previous year's work.

And for goodness sake, ask your teachers what they would like to do and what ideas they have. Do NOT sit at home and write a lovely scheme that doesn't involve anyone else. You may find that many staff have things they have taught in the past or have seen in other schools and would love to do next year. Make sure you involve them if you want any hope of them following a plan.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Use the objectives from the NC and link to the topics being studied by the classes.
    So in year 3, if they are studying Rainforests, you probably don't want to be making boxes for chocolates, but could do those if studying the Aztecs.

You absolutely need to look at what DT skills your children have and where they start from. Write the outline for Reception first, then year 1, then 2 and so on building on the previous year's work.

And for goodness sake, ask your teachers what they would like to do and what ideas they have. Do NOT sit at home and write a lovely scheme that doesn't involve anyone else. You may find that many staff have things they have taught in the past or have seen in other schools and would love to do next year. Make sure you involve them if you want any hope of them following a plan.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Agree with everything caterpillartobutterfly says about involving your staff and indeed the scheme I wrote was centred around things other teachers already did, tied into topics and provided re-visiting and progression of skills throughout the years.Still looking by the way.

7. Lara mfl 05

Have found my schemes, but at present they're in Publisher format, which I know many people cannot access. usually I'd simply convert these to a pdf file but at the moment that option doesn't seem available (?) but a png mode would be. Will investigate later.

8. Lara mfl 05

Wow that was quick. Published immediately here
    Remember they are just ideas, written for my own school needs and you need to ask colleagues what they already do- hence why some things are done in different years. Plus I linked Dt very much with the Art curriculum alternating the teaching of them and integrating them when possible.

I have other files which may be of use to do with actual topics. Some are my own and others ones I found.

Clance likes this.
  9. Clance

Clance New commenter

Incredibly kind of you thank you! However, I can't seem to find them. I clicked your link but it just sent me to the top of this page. Am I missing something?

10. Lara mfl 05

11. Clance

Clance New commenter

12. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

13. Lara mfl 05

Brilliant @ultimatedingbat . I wish I'd seen these when I started teaching DT several years ago. Although I was building the DT up from scratch and resources had to be built up slowly, so my schemes sort of 'grew' over time and were very much linked to the School.
    Do take a good look @Clance, these are more medium/short term whereas mine, are more whole School overall plans.

14. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

You may find this resource helpful.

It shows progression across D&T so you can apply the relevant learning to whatever project you decide to do, plus it allows freedom for teachers to adapt what they are doing to be relevant to their class.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. katmasters4

katmasters4 New commenter

Teachers in Lincolnshire are coming together to meet at the National Centre for Craft and Design to share resources and ideas. The centre is working with teachers to provide free/cost effective teacher CPD and student workshops to help with the demands of the new curriculum. For their year ahead programme but if you want to talk to someone in learning the contact email is learning@nationalcraftanddesign.org.uk
    Hope this is also of some help.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.