1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP!! current issues in education?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tallulah9, Mar 12, 2012.

1. tallulah9

tallulah9 New commenter

Hi everyone!

I have a PGCE interview this week and have a written task on 'a current issue in education' I have done a lot of research on this and come back with so many results that I am back to square one with knowing what to choose. So I decided to ask teachers first hand, what do you feel are the most important current issues in primary education?

I would be very grateful for anybody's opinion.

2. tallulah9

tallulah9 New commenter

Hi everyone!

I have a PGCE interview this week and have a written task on 'a current issue in education' I have done a lot of research on this and come back with so many results that I am back to square one with knowing what to choose. So I decided to ask teachers first hand, what do you feel are the most important current issues in primary education?

I would be very grateful for anybody's opinion.

3. Hi there, my suggestion would be to select one from the list you have already gathered, choosing the one which interests you the most. I would suggest that the object of the exercise is not to solely determine your knowledge of current educational affairs but also to see how you are able to relate the 'topic' to schools, teachers and of course children's education, thus showing a depth of understanding of education and children's learning. I'm sure your preparation will pay off, and of course good luck! [​IMG]

4. Safeguarding is huge in schools so I would touch upon that.
    Also look up the rose review into phonics, thats another current issue.
    As someone else said though, chose something that interests you so you have more to say :)

5. My husband is a middle school governor. He tells me after every meeting that the topic of how best to imporve literacy standards was discussed at length yet again.

6. tallulah9

tallulah9 New commenter

Thank you very much for your help, it is much appreciated!
    I think safeguarding is probably the way I will go with this. However I just wanted to check, the exact wording of the task is an 'area of current interest related to primary school education'. Do you think safeguarding actually relates to education enough? If anybody else has an opinion please feel free to share it! Many thanks to everybody who had helped :)

7. Into safeguarding you can bring in 'Every Child Matters.' Although, I'd not get too side tracked by Every Child Matters, just refer to it. Safeguarding is a key part of being a primary teacher and reaches into every classroom. I would say it is quite a wide reaching term, but that will offer you plenty of areas to explore. Ofsted give a good definition which may be a useful starting point.

8. Although the message seems to pretty much remain intact, "Every Child Matters" is called something else now (though the name of it escapes me). The Tories do love to rebrand, and I think the original name was literally banned, along with several key phrases, including "the five outcomes".

You could always go for something really radical and discuss how children are being denied extra opportunities to work on their strengths (thereby gaining all round confidence enabling them to tackle their weaker subjects) in favour of extra time bringing their weaker subjects up to scratch, often disengaging them altogether as they get frustrated by their weaknesses, feel like failures, and take such a knock to their self esteem that they are put off even their strong subjects, which then take a nosedive.

9. The "new ECM" is called Help Children Achieve More.
    ^_^