1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP. cookery club learning objectives!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by daffodilval, Jan 16, 2012.

1. As if we don't have enough to do..our school have applied for the artsmark award, i have been told that as i run an after school cookery club (primary), this can go towards the award BUT, I need to list learning objective/key skills for each session..As we just cook somethinG different each week, pizza's, burgers etc i am finding it difficult to think of an appropriate LO..Obviously I can come up with the safety aspect, but what about the actual cooking?
    Can anyone help...pleaseeeee?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Cor, LOs for an after school club!
    The National Curriculum would ideally be a good place to start - but I've just looked at the Technology section and all there is that's specific to food is the health and safety aspect. The rest is all general DT gubbins - selecting the right tools, designing with a purpose in mind. This would be ideal in some ways as it's conforming to the NC (as it stands at the moment, anyway) which is all we're legally obliged to teach, and it would form the basis of much teaching when teaching a food/cooking related unit in subject time, but it doesn't give much scope for a cookery club.
    Daffodilval, forgive me if I'm wrong, but you're a teaching assistant, aren't you? I'd suggest, if so, that it's a lot to ask of you to decide on how these skills and objectives would look - I'd ask for some guidance from your technology co-ordinator if I was you - what would they like to see covered. They're responsible for t&l within that subject, after all.
    Lapin may have some guidance, though.

3. Nick, thanks for the prompt reply, yep, I am a HLTA,

4. Hi Nick, thanks for your quick reply, yep I am a HLTA and I could ask the co-ordinator (and prob will) but we are all expected to do some ground work ourselves, TA'a and all, its just another thing I could do without right now, it never ends does it?
    I'll check out the NC, thanks again Nick

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

OK, just quickly
    Safety in prep and cooking
    healthy eating
    using cooker
    using a knife
    using kitchen equipment
    maintaining a good standard of hygiene
    Will dig out some stuff tomorroiw for you, brain is not working, sure surgeon chucked it round the theatre during the op!! LOL

6. Thanks so much, its a start x

7. Lol, no offence taken Nick, I'm just grateful people have kindly come up with ideas. I don't think I have to go into depth with the LO, just a brief link to what were we are going with the cookery club. (and all the other clubs), I have a meeting this week with the co-ordinator.

8. Hi there,
    Our school has a 'Let's get cooking' cookery club after school. Have a look at the website.
    http://www.letsgetcooking.org.uk/Home
    You can register your school and I know we got funding for it. The recipes are brilliant, healthy and build on skills for the children.Not too sure whether they would have learning objectives as such. You could perhaps register and then email them to ask.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

What about something along the lines of this:

To develop and foster an interest in food, combining skills and knowledge to understand a good diet as well as health and safety in the kitchen.

Feel free to play around with that, but will continue thinking and have some stuff I will send to you.

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

You might want to include something about healthy eating, fun to be had cooking, the sharing of food, etc.

11. Thanks, sounds great x

12. God help us all when someone is having to produce aims and objectives for a cookery club!
    Top aim - eating should be a joy and a pleasure - to learn that home cooking is better than readymade food.
    To be able to feed yourself a balanced diet that is not all chocolate!
    That it is fun to cook.
    That it is great to have other people like and appreciate what you have cooked!
    That there is a by product - you also learn how to wash up and tidy up the itchen so that nobody knows that you have been there cooking!
    I hope that you are enjoying doing this - and that it is not all risk assessments!

13. Thanks for all your replies.
    Artsmart keyskills proforma now complete and boss is happy with it.
    Yes,the kids and I do enjoy the club and we have lots of fun, its a popular club and feedback is great..thanks again .
    (Now looking forward to the teaching and learning review next week..hahaha)
    Probably followed by a visit from Ofsted....[​IMG]

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

1glad you've got it sorted but I've never heard of Los for an after school club! What a load of old tosh! TBH LOs are a load of old tosh anyway. I think LOs should all be chucked in the bin, together with all government education inititives and all other edubabble that can be abbreviated to letters.................WALT, WILF (old style LOs by another abbreviation), APP, ISA, EMPA,...........I could go on but [​IMG]