1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Contract ending and starting

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Jamescbr125, Jul 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jamescbr125

Jamescbr125 New commenter

Hello there! I am looking for some advice. I am currently on a maternity cover contract which ends at the end of July because the other teacher is coming back for the last week of school. My school have said that I will receive a fixed term contract for a year that will start in September. Is it ok for them to leave me out of contract for the summer? I've worked at the school all year. Do I have any options?

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Morally okay, No.
    Legally okay, Yes.
    Guess which option will prevail?

Sorry, this is far too sarcastic. However when you started the maternity job you must have know (and the contract will have covered) that the breeder was going to return in the last week. You maybe had some negotiating leeway with the school about this when offered the 1 year gig but probably that was pushing it too far.

I can only offer the squaddies' response to tragedy.
    "If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have signed up"

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Our LA honoured the Burgundy Book Conditions stating you are paid for the holiday following a full term’s work. This resulted in both maternity cover teacher and the returning teacher being paid for the summer holiday. Luckily for the school, the LA contributed one of their pay. If you’ve worked till the end of term you could argue this for pay in the holidays. It depends whether they are stopping your contract on the day the teacher returns before the end of term or not.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Generous LA - I wonder how many could afford that sort of ex-gratia payment nowadays?

Unfortunately for OP Burgundy Book doesn't require payment for the holidays following a term's work if they are employed on a maternity cover contract. Burgundy Book states that normal notice and termination dates do not apply to teachers on maternity contracts (paragraphs 1.1 (b) and 1.3 on page 3).

5. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Fair enough, Rott Weiler. It was about five years ago that we had this.