1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - Continuous Provision in Year 2?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by twists183, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Hi,

Could anyone give me some advice. I am applying for a post in Year 2 in an Infant school. The school operates continuous provision across the whole of KS1, which means we plan for Role Play, Sand and Water and other areas of provision in a Year 2 class.

I'm struggling to see how this might be organised effectively, and planned for within Year 2. I would love to hear from anyone who has seen this done or operates this system already. How do you plan on a daily basis? How do you integrate the new Numeracy framework? What would you recommend a novice like myself say at interview?

Cheers.

2. Hi,

Could anyone give me some advice. I am applying for a post in Year 2 in an Infant school. The school operates continuous provision across the whole of KS1, which means we plan for Role Play, Sand and Water and other areas of provision in a Year 2 class.

I'm struggling to see how this might be organised effectively, and planned for within Year 2. I would love to hear from anyone who has seen this done or operates this system already. How do you plan on a daily basis? How do you integrate the new Numeracy framework? What would you recommend a novice like myself say at interview?

Cheers.

3. Our year 1/2 classes operate this system. They have 3 inputs per day - maths, phonics/literacy and topic. The various areas all have activities, including a challenge activity area,which are linked to the topic and the maths and literacy objectives. All the children have a 'passport'. They have to do every activity over the course of a week (some are changed daily and these have to be done daily). When they have done the activity they get their passport stamped. When all passport activities have been completed, they are allowed to choose where they go.

Hope this makes sense. This system was recently judged 'outstanding' by our visitors from OFSTED.

x

4. I have this in Y2. Very similar to the above post. The children have charts on which they have to tick activities off. It is more structured than in R and Y1. The role play and writing areas link in with the current topic. There is also a sand/water area, reading area, maths area (current unit), puzzle/jigsaw area, ICT area and outdoor area (always changing and dependent on weather! Sand is often outside).

5. Daily planning may go something like this:

1st session (30 mins): children access the provision while 2 groups have guided reading (with teacher and TA).
    2nd session (1 hour): literacy - whole class input then group activities. One group may access provision. Usually directed to something literacy based such as role play, writing area or phonics in the sand type activity.
    3rd session (50 mins): Numeracy - like literacy but one group may access numeracy type provision.
    4th session (1 hour to 1 hour 30mins with playtime in between): topic/PE/science.

Hope that helps! My class also have golden time to earn during the week and this allows them to have free choosing. This tends to keep them happy with being mainly directed throughout the week because they know the freedom to choose is coming on Friday!

6. This sounds really interesting, I would love to visit a school doing this. Anyone in the SE doing this so I can arrange a visit. I am leading KS1 soon and I know we will be looking at this.

7. Thanks for those posts, it does sound a great way to teach, fingers crossed I get the post.

The school is in Derbyshire if that helps.

8. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

Could anyone please send me a copy of their planning and possible examples of questions/challenges you put in the different areas. I am moving schools and will have a mixed year1/2 class and they are trying to introduce this approach next year.
    heleneurope99@hotmail.com

Pianogirl174 likes this.
  9. this is type of thing I'm thinking of, can you send me a copy of the passport or sheet, pretty please

rachelehall@yahoo.co.uk

10. This sounds a really good system. We have introduced a Challenge Area for our Y1's which is linked to objectives. Love the passport idea, would you mind sharing. Thanks Karen

11. Sounds really good love some of the ideas to manage it. Could i have a copy of passport and any general timetables/activity maps etc?
    kath83@hotmail.co.uk

12. Hi Really struggling to integrate continuous provision with the Yr2 expectations leading to SATS. I'd really appreciate a copy of your passport and any pointers towards planning.
    Thanks
    Helen

13. Hi, we're looking at introducing this in our school too- would REALLY appreciate any eg's of planning/timetables/passports used too?
    Thanks in advance
    juliepwright@hotmail.co.uk

14. We use continuous provision throughout our school and I'm looking for a way to record the children's use of these areas - particularly in my Year 6 class. Would love to see a copy of the passports etc.

sonja_barnard@hotmail.com

15. Hi
    I have been trying to explain how continous provision can be introduced into Year One and Year Two but I am hitting quite a robust brick wall. If anyone has any information or resources that could help me try to re educate some of our staff then that would be excellent. Unfortunately I have quite a small classroom with 28 children squashed into it. Would this system be easy to adapt to the environment I have. We have seen how the our Foundation Stage has changed over the past year with the current Year One Cohort and having continuous provision would make the transition alot easy, and less of a shock for some children.
    andreaburvill@hotmail.com
    Many thanks
    Andrea

16. This is a fantastic link guys as I have never done continuous provision in year 2 and I think we might be getting somewhere.

I mentioned the passport idea to a member of the SMT today and they said that it's not the greatest idea as it is forcing the children to do something they don't want to do, i.e. not free choice; however I still think this is a good idea for year 2 children.

I would love copies of the passport planning as I think it's a fab idea!

amanda.wilkinson10@btinternet.com

Many thanks

mandy

17. Hi!
    This sounds interesting! Can I have a look at the passport and samples of planning. Am moving to y2 and am very interested in this idea!
    Thanks
    andyknox1@hotmail.com

18. These ideas sound great to me ! I teach Yr 1 in a Welsh language primary and so far haven't had any advice on continuous provision for yrs 1 & 2 . I would also really appreciate a look at your passport idea and planning sheet, I have experimented with various approches but so far haven't found a way that I'm happy with. Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks for sharing.
    catrin.jones@talktalk.net

19. Hi there, you seem to be an expert in the area of continuous provision. I have an interview next week and have been asked to present a small talk about continuous provision enhancing the KS1 curriculum. any ideas you have and could email me, i'd really appreciate it.
    elisewing44@hotmail.com

Many thanks
    x

20. Hi, I am KS1 leader, introducing continuous provision into KS1, I would greatly appreciate a copy of your planning and passports. Thanks very much