1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Colleague forced out by racism

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by bartyharris, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Hi, please forgive if I'm not using the right language.....but a valued colleague (who doesn't know I'm posting this) has been the victim of anti-Semitic vandalism: car vandalised, and had their home broken into, anti-Semitic slogans on the walls. They are [all but decided on] leaving the school and returning home with their family. And I don't blame them; I would if it was me and my family.

What I want to know is: does anyone have any thoughts as to how I could/should mobilise the school community? I Absolutely do NOT want to exacerbate things for my colleague, and it's probably a case of horse bolted, but isn't this the sort of thing we should absolutely stand up against and show our disgust for the perpetrators/support for anyone in this situation?

Any advice please??

2. If you have any evidence at all that this is school-related (not proof, can be entirely circumstantial) that this is school-related, then call the police. Even if they do not catch the miscreant(s), the fact that they are involved will signal to all concerned that this kind of crime is not tolerated. Otherwise ... it is tolerated. And we know where that leads.

3. Thanks...the police are involved, and looking into it; I felt there was perhaps something more as a school community that might be considered. Tough one though.