1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help choosing GCSE Exam board

Discussion in 'Science' started by jaycey001, Sep 30, 2015.

1. jaycey001

jaycey001 New commenter

Hi - Sorry first post and already in at the deep end!

I have recently taken up work in an independent school who are currently using the OCR 21st century Science syllabus. As you know, next year we need to update our resources to the new GCSE requirements. However this could also be a good time to change to another exam board.

Are there any exam boards that you would recommend - I am particularly looking for one that does not have a huge amount of course work. (I am the only teacher and teach all 3 sciences from ages 8 to 16) so as you can imagine i want to cut down the work load as far as possible. In addition course work does not always suite the international students.

I would be grateful of any recommendations, or indeed advice to stay with OCR.

Many thanks

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Coursework is being abolished - exam boards are not allowed to set it. However, there will be compulsory practical work.

3. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

Does the school have a sixth form? It's usually better to have the same exam board at A level and GCSE for continuity.
    The international GCSE works well if you have a high number of overseas students as it is less dependent on the everyday life questions that international pupils find hard. CIE who are also part of Cambridge assessment as well as OCR may be a good bet. UK parents like the iGCSE as it is seen as more academic as it hasn't had coursework for years. (Not a good option for state school though as only some iGCSEs count towards league tables.)

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

For the current Yr 9, no IGCSE course will count in the league tables so make sure that your SMT are on board if that is the route you choose.

In a small school where practical resources may be at a premium, it is probably worth looking at what practicals are going to be part of the 16 compulsory tasks for each board (there are differences) and pick whichever will be easiest for your school to cope with