1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - child development GCSE

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by mazza74, May 14, 2006.

1. Hi,
    I will be starting work as an NQT in July and taking over a year 10 OCR child development class straight away. I am completely new to this subject as I am DT trained. I have heard that I need to provide the group with a theme for their coursework. Can anybody tell me what the themes are? I'm having real difficulty finding any information. Also if anyone knows any websites that have good child development resources, or wish to donate I would be forever grateful! (Talk about in at the deepend!)

2. Hi,
    I will be starting work as an NQT in July and taking over a year 10 OCR child development class straight away. I am completely new to this subject as I am DT trained. I have heard that I need to provide the group with a theme for their coursework. Can anybody tell me what the themes are? I'm having real difficulty finding any information. Also if anyone knows any websites that have good child development resources, or wish to donate I would be forever grateful! (Talk about in at the deepend!)

3. Unbelieveable! And what pray qualifies a DT teacher to teach GCSE child development? Having done a little bit of Piaget on your B.Ed/ PGCE or something?

What a crazy world is teaching.

Sorry I cannot help you I dont teach GCSE child development although I do teach A level psychology which includes child development and H&SC which includes early years. Get a GCSE book and use that.

4. Actually it was the school that specified I will be teaching Child development as well as textiles. This is not an unheard of thing for schools to do, as the teacher I'm replacing was in the same position when she started too. Given half the chance I would teach just textiles but life is always a compromise....Oh and I have several child development books already, but it's always worth asking for a bit of 'friendly' advice I find.

5. Heinemann publish a specific book for GCSE child care I believe. Thats the book you will need.

I do double award H&SC level 2 and 3 ( the latter in sixth form) not child development.

6. I sympathise with endymion, as I do think we should NOT be asked or even allowed to teach outwith out areas of training and expertise ( as is the case in Scotland) - and am desperately hoping that I am not asked to do so next year!

7. even worse as an NQT! it is stress for you that you could do without, and at the end of the day the students probably get somewhat short-changed by practices such as this. no personal insult to you, I would say the same if it was me, and I think the GTC should be acting on this instead of wussing about doing **** all of any use as usual.

8. Pamela Minnet has a good book for child development. Coursework will depend on what board you are using. Most I have seen involve research based on care needs. Ie: clothing or suitable age appropriate safe and stimulating toys. There is usually a resource task, somewhere and also a child study where each student studies a child over a long period (6 months) or so, and completes a project on this. You will need to look at the spec. The level of knowledge required is fairly basic, but could be difficult for someone without a child care/education background or children of their own.

9. Child Development resources are really hard to find, most of the time you have to make up you own.
    I do AQA Child Dev so the students have to do a child study over 6 months.
    The Heather Brennand GCSE textbook is very good.

10. The content of your teaching will depend on the exam board that you are using. I have taught GCSE psychology for OCR for 2 years now, and the child development part is very small, basically covering attachment formation & associated problems (Bowlby & Ainsworth) and cognitive development (Piaget). The most helpful book I have found is "The Developing Child" by Helen Bee & Denise Boyd. It gives lots of details of child development accross the lifespan, and is also useful for higher learners who may be able to comprehend more complex topics.
    I would also add that you need to make the topics salient to the age group that you are teaching, as I have found that there are many who have difficulty relating to it - so all sorts of strategies have been implemented!
    Good luck!
    Elle

11. dttrainee

dttrainee New commenter

12. ellebag, you must have bright students. Helen Bee's, The Developing Child is used as course texts in university. Penny Tassoni is quite good, also Beaver/Brewster. Community Insight have a range of child/care/eduation/development books that are all levelled so GCSE look for level 1 or 2 for the more able.

13. in my school most of the ones taking it are the ones most likely to need it in the near future - maybe even prior to sitting the gcse.....if you catch my drift...it's scary scary scary class.!

14. pzw

pzw

In my school, my students taking child Development aare usually the ones who want to work with children later on. My problem are students who picked the subject because they thought it was an 'easy cop out' and don't realise it is actually quite academic!

15. hi, i am also a nqt who has been chucked in the deep end with having to teach child development! the only added problem i have is that i teach year 10 and 11!!!! i have no idea what i am doing and am having to 'wing' it every lesson which makes me feel awfull for the kids as i worry about their gcse.
    i cant sleep because of it!!! if anyone can offer ANY help i would be so very greatful.
    i have most of the books mentioned and revision guides, but i am struggling with the coursework and marking it correctly!
    what a nightmare.....

16. I think CGP do a good revision book. These are usually good teacher resourses.

17. Wow, you think you have problems!! I'm a HLTA teaching child development to Year 10's and 11's!
    I have to be honest that I flapped when I found that I was going to be teaching this this year, but I asked AQA for help and they sent me loads of invaluable resources including past child studies which I have found amazing. If you are with AQA the Child Development..a comprehensive text for GCSE by Brennard is the best text book around as these authors are also senior examiners and moderators so know exactly what is required in both the child study and also the exam. i also 'picked up' a year 11 class and they didn't start their coursework until May this year and are still way behind. so this year's year 10's have just started their introductions. I'm certainly no expert but I hope this helps.

18. I teach Maths and was 'asked' to pick up child dev years 10 and 11, previous teacher retired. No scheme of work, resources outdated, anyway have written SOW for year 10 who are starting first piece of coursework anybody wants a look let me know.

19. I'd love a look at a SOW,Ofsted inspections looming and a million things to put right. Any help will be gratefully received. We are using AQA so will check with them as well.

GMonkey