1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help caution disclosure on application

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by add2012, Jun 6, 2011.

1. add2012

add2012 New commenter

Hi there

some advise really needed. I am applying for my first teaching job as an NQT so as well as completing my final practise I am sending off job applications.

However.....

A number of years ago I received a police caution for stolen goods. I am wondering what is the best way to disclose about my caution.

I have disclosed it on application forms that I have applied for so far, but I was wondering should I add a separate letter explaining what was my caution was for and explaining it was a few years ago?

Your thoughts and advice, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

2. add2012

add2012 New commenter

Hi there

some advise really needed. I am applying for my first teaching job as an NQT so as well as completing my final practise I am sending off job applications.

However.....

A number of years ago I received a police caution for stolen goods. I am wondering what is the best way to disclose about my caution.

I have disclosed it on application forms that I have applied for so far, but I was wondering should I add a separate letter explaining what was my caution was for and explaining it was a few years ago?

Your thoughts and advice, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

3. Hi. I am in a similar position: looking for NQT job and have a caution.I think the system in place is an absolute bloody disgrace, if you don't mind my saying so. For example, when my LA send me application packs, the following two entirely conflicting instructions are provided within them:1) If you are invited for interview, you will be required to declare any previous convictions, cautions, reprimands or final warnings you may have<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">;</font> 2) The successful applicant will be required to complete a Disclosure Application Form and to provide criminal conviction information.

So that&rsquo;s as clear as mud, eh?Once I declared it in the application &ndash; didn&rsquo;t get an interview.Twice I declared it in the interview &ndash; didn&rsquo;t get the jobs.The other times, I&rsquo;ve kept quiet about it on the application and at interview. Err, still haven&rsquo;t got a job ha ha, but Heads keep telling me they&rsquo;re sure someone will want me soon lol. Getting closer!? BUT. If I get a job offer, do I celebrate? Because what if they retract it when they see my CRB? It&rsquo;s obviously not anything serious enough to bar me from teaching but people are still obviously sniffy about it.So I&rsquo;m not sure what I suggest. Look at what the application pack from the LA says; maybe yours will be clearer. Good luck.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

*sigh *
    The daft things of youth that come back to haunt us . . .
    My advice is set out in this thread below.
    Frightened to apply for a new job because of my caution
    Best wishes to you both
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!