1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - Career Day Job of the Dentist

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minimad1978, May 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. minimad1978

minimad1978 New commenter

We are having an "Aspiration Day" in a short time and I have been asked to take on the role of inspiring the children about the job of the dentist. We are rotating around jobs so all the children in Year 1 and 2 will access my 45 minute activity.

Unfortunately I am drawing a blank for inspiring ideas. I have tried and failed to get a dentist in.

Has anyone got any amazing/interesting ideas or have done something similar?

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Go to a school that doesn't dream up initiatives like "Aspiration Days" and then fob off all the organisation on teachers who aren't equipped to deliver on the expectations? Ridiculous.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. MsNiChearuil

MsNiChearuil New commenter

Those giant demo teeth and toothbrushes. Kids LOVE them. Bring in a white coat and some tools too, have the kids work in pairs/groups to go to a few stations and guess the item's role in your job? Then demo how to brush your teeth correctly-lots of hamming it up. Then find a nice tooth-brushing song and hand them out some colouring-in. Free toothbrushes (if ye still do that) or stickers too! You're not a educational professional and this shouldn't be a headache for you.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. MsNiChearuil

MsNiChearuil New commenter

Edit: I realise now that you are NOT a dentist-thus rendering my answer useless. Sorry!!! (The exact thing I'd get cross at a child for; half reading the instructions and charging ahead :rolleyes::confused:)

5. WildKyogre

WildKyogre New commenter

The British Council's Learn English Kids website has a song about brushing your teeth: "Brush Bus"

Apart from that, not sure what to suggest.
    Is there a School Nurse from a local clinic or from the LA who could come in?

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

google free school dental kits, didn't want to put the links in case they were blocked.
    Do you have a uni with a dental hospital near you perhaps a student would come out and speak to the children or a retired dentist.
    Did you know it is national smile month from May 15th to June 15th 2017?