1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help..... Card sort activity- Can you identify it?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by sophia_snail, Mar 4, 2011.

1. A couple of years ago I saw a card sort activity which I would love to do with my year 9's after their first exam on monday.

It's a card sort about some people building something with all sorts of made up units and dimensions. It isn't apparent straight away what each card is talking about (in some cases the cards appear to be nonsense until put into context).
    Does any think they recognise it? I think it was maybe an ATL publication but its not in "We can work it out" which is where I thought it was. I would love to find it and get it laminated this weekend.....

Thank you
    SOPHIA

2. whether it's what the op wanted or not, i think i'll have a go at that
    cheers

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Sounds like the Zoop Zoop tower to me - don't think I've got a link though.

4. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

5. That looks fun Casy!

6. The ATM publication with the cards is called "We can work it out" - just bought it for our department :)

The made up units and building does sound like the Zin problem, which was published in a book called "Thinking through mathematics" (around £39 I think)

7. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

We can work it out.
    [That's the name of the publication!]

8. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

That's the one (We Can Work It Out), thank you Chelle & Nazard.

9. Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly everyone...It was indeed the Zin Obelisk! I had best get the laminater warmed up....