1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Can't send word doc as email attachment.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I need to do this by the end of today on a deadline. But when I try to attach the word doc, a box pops up saying 'Please instal an email program, or if one is already installed, create an association in the Default programs control panel.' I don't know how to do this. I clicked help and then another box popped up to say 'MAPI failure. Unspecified error'. Can anyone please help me by explaining very simply what I should do? I don't even know what the default programs control panel is or what MAPI is. I have never had this trouble before. I am using Windows 7. I would be so grateful.

Signed- despairing silver surfer.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Are you in the Word document trying to send it directly from Word?

3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Attach it from your e-mail program.
    IOW Open your e-mail program, address the message, and add the word doc as an attachment in there

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Try the suggestions above.

It may be that the 'unspecified error' actually does have a code, for example
    Outlook generating an Error ID 27: "MAPISendMail: Failed to submit message. Attachments to the message exceeded the size limit set by your Administrator."

If so, trying converting the file to a PDF file by saving it as one. It will be smaller in size than a Word file.

5. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

This is one of those infuriating little gotchas that infect computer usage. Apparently the problem is quite common so doing a google gets a lot of responses.

One of the possible causes is that the maximum attachment size in Outlook gets set to zero during an upgrade install. Another is that an addon in Outlook is causing the problem.
    Here are a couple of links that I found. The official Microsoft one is probably the best one to try because it is the easiest to follow.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ook-2013/4d280b96-660d-4b0b-ae8e-63906621c98f

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...t-to-an-email?forum=officesetupdeployprevious

Since I don't use Windows myself it is a bit difficult to replicate the fault.

As a general point it is safer to send things such as Word documents over email by zipping the files first then attaching them. Exporting to pdf also works but you need to remember to embed the fonts which can result in the file being larger.

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Thank you so much, everyone. I have got to go out now but will put my addled brain to it again when I get home.

7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I forgot to add to my last post.
    If you can't sort out the problem your end, then since you are operating the email account in IMAP mode rather than POP3, you will be able to log onto a webpage and bypass all the issues to send your email.

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I'm pretty sure that you just don't have Word connected to your email so you won't needto do anything complicated.

As Didactylos says, just open your email, write the message and then use the paperclip icon to attach the document.

9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

You have rebooted I presume? First reaction to any PC problem.

Also, if you can not attach the document, and as you have to get it sent today, what about copying and pasteing the doc into the main body of the e-mail with an apology for the messy situation, but that you have no alternative.

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The deadline can easily be met to buy you more time to sort the problem out. Just send an email saying "Please see attached". When the recipient says there wasn't an attachment, you tell them there must be something wrong with their system.

minnie me likes this.
  11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Lascarina, are you by any chance with Plusnet? They had an outage of some sort this morning much to my annoyance, but they are back now.
    I use Plusmail which is the web e-mail with Plusnet. It is not meant to be a full blown e-mail program like Outlook and is so much more clunky. I have had problems with attachments. I have found that the attachments must be added just before sending because if it tries to save attachments into draft, which it does automatically every few minutes, then it messes up and won't send the e-mail when I ask it to.

As somebody has said here already, if you know how to go to your server webmail, you could try writing the e-mail there and sending it.

Also, as has said already again, if you put your problem into google (and there are other search engines!) you often find an answer on one of the pc forums. Type in the error message you got into the search engine.

Best of luck with the bl00dy thing. How did we manage in the old days before these damn things took us hostage!!?? My suggestion still is to copy and paste the word doc into the e-mail body.

Lascarina likes this.
  12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I am back. No way will the document go as an attachment to my email, nor will it allow itself to be copied and pasted. Unfortunately all the other instructions and advice people have so kindly offered are beyond my limited comprehension so I am giving up. I bloo dy hate computers!

13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Nope- it doesn't work.:(

14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Can you make it into a pdf and attach that? I hate it when people send me Word documents as I don't have Word and they can get mangled if you open them with something else.

15. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

You need to go into your web browser and go to whatever provider you use for your email.
    For example, if you have an "@outlook.com" email address then you need the link below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/outlook-com/

Click on "sign in", you will need your email address and the password that goes with your email account. If you succeed you will be taken to a webpage that is similar to your email program. There you will be able to write an email and make an attachment. This bypasses whatever is going on on your own computer.

Good Luck.

16. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Can you copy the text of your document into the email ( the space where you usually write? Then just send it as an email with no attachment?

17. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Thank you so much, you helpful people. I tried all the easy stuff but think the computer has got errors because nothing works. In the end shanks' pony turned out to be the answer.:(

18. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

That's weird.
    I think you may need to get someone in to look at that for you.
    The "'Please instal an email program, or if one is already installed, create an association in the Default programs control panel.'" message is not only a common one but is almost universally only generated when no e-mail program is associated within Windows.
    If using a stand-alone e-mail system (such as gmail or the on-line Outlook services) doesn't work and you can't attach the file then you have a distinct and unusual problem.

19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The ten-toed horse.

josienig likes this.
  20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Yes- mental incapacity, I fear.