1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Can I still hand in my notice???

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by thetapdancingteach, Mar 18, 2020.

1. thetapdancingteach

thetapdancingteach New commenter

Hi everyone,
    If you’ve seen any of my previous posts you’ll know this year has been a MISSION from the start. I’m in my NQT year now and I’m really not enjoying it. I decided to quit over the feb HT but with one thing and another in the last few weeks I haven’t been able to speak to my head yet.
    The thing is now with schools closing I think I’ll need to tell him this week, but I’m going to feel like the worst human being on the plant now! Essentially I’ll be saying I’m leaving, then ********* off to work from home for the foreseeable- maybe the rest of the year- and they won’t be able to interview even to replace me because schools are shutting.
    Plus I’m sure he’ll throw back at me that because of the closure I won’t have passed my NQT year so I should stay until Christmas, but I really can’t face that. Not sure that I can say that to him though
    Just really don’t know what to do- I’ve been offered a job on a cruise ship (let’s ignore the fact that might not happen now!) which I want to take!
    Sorry for the rambling post but I’m so so so stressed now!

2. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

If I was you I wouldn’t resign.
    You will still get your NQT

agathamorse likes this.
  3. thetapdancingteach

You mean if I don't resign I'll still get it? I'd got that far...

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

One of the many unanswered questions is what will happen to NQT teachers who would have expected to completed their NQT year in July.

Sorry, I don't have any advice for you. You might want to check with the cruise line the status of their job offer although I think we can all guess that their answer will be 'offer is on hold until we know what's going to happen'.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. thetapdancingteach

Yep all a bit nuts. The cruise line expect to open again in the summer but are quite happy to move start dates around as a result of this. The problem is that I know I should just stay until Christmas but the thought of that honestly makes me feel sick :(:confused:

agathamorse likes this.
  6. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

You need to contact your union and appropriate body regarding your NQ T induction.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. pdilmaghani

pdilmaghani New commenter

Hello

I am in a similiar situation, and i am not sure what to do. I applied for a job in Egypt and was told i got it yesterday. I have recently joined my school (september) and it is an academy. My question is, now my HT will be informed im leaving (via reference request) and i am not sure of her powers to furlough me or get rid of me before september (the start date of the new school). Usually this wouldnt bother me because my notice will be before may 31st, and then i would just work notice out. My girlfriend also works for the school (and will be most likely joining me as another job is being made available) and we are both working remotely. Basically i just want to work out the notice remotely, without myself or my girlfriend being pushed and not fully paid before our new jobs dates started.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Furlough you - I don't think it makes any difference that you will be giving in your notice. Indeed, being asked for a reference does not count as notice.

Get rid of you - you still have rights. I don't think they can fairly dismiss you, even though you can be furloughed. If you have been there less than two years, however, you don't have the right to claim for unfair dismissal. But I think you are entitled to your contractual notice.

If you are sure you are leaving, I would give in your notice before the deadline,. Should the school try to change your departure date, that would be the time to contact your union.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. pdilmaghani

pdilmaghani New commenter

Ive just been told that only fee paying schools can furlough. My school has recently turned to an academy. any truth in that piranha?

10. Rott Weiler

That's because public sector bodies like schools have had no reduction in their income. Schools are still receiving their normal funding. So unsurprisingly they are expected not to furlough staff and not to claim 80% of their salary. They should be paying staff out of their normal funding. The official guidance to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme has always been clear about this.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme
    upload_2020-4-1_16-57-58.png

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I had assumed from this that you worked in a private school, as this is not a standard deadline for giving notice.

But I would have thought that if your school had just become an academy, you would still be likely to be operating under Burgundy Book notice periods, meaning that you have missed the deadline to leave at the end of April but have plenty of time to resign for the end of August. Or did your notice periods change?

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I wouldn't worry about that. Plenty of teachers will be moving job or retiring, and schools will just have to adapt using Skype or similar for interviews. So, don't think you have to wait until Christmas.

Regarding induction, this link suggests that it may not be an issue, but I cannot vouch for it. https://www.nasbtt.org.uk/dfe-covid-19-induction-for-newly-qualified-teachers-guidance/

agathamorse likes this.
  13. Rott Weiler

agathamorse likes this.
  14. billinziemalcolm

billinziemalcolm New commenter

I hope you didnt leave as they would have automatically signed you off on the 2nd term as a final assesment due to Miss Corona

15. thetapdancingteach

Hi everyone, thanks for all your comments! I still haven't really decided what I'm going to do to be honest, and I know I still have a few weeks before the deadline for handing in my notice. As for my NQT, we've signed off term 2 as a pass, so my understanding is that that means it's done??

16. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Yes - but I would want confirmation of that in writing - to be on the safe side.
    You have another five or so weeks before you need to resign to leave August 31st. So if you are still unsure, don't hurry this decision making time

agathamorse likes this.