1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help- can anyone recommend a good version of Jekyll for lower ability learners?

Discussion in 'English' started by silverlillies, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Hi all,

trying to source a good version of Jekyll for lower ability group. Can anyone help?

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I'd rather scaffold the text than find another version, unless you're talking about a graphic novel version. These students deserve to experience the original text and appreciate why it's stood the test of time. I don't mean to come across as preachy, but I don't believe they can't access it with the right support. I'm not an idealist by any means, having taught Frankenstein for GCSE with over half the class being SEN or EAL, and I do appreciate the challenge it presents.

What are the reasons you feel you need a different version - is it because of the length, the vocabulary, the ideas, the time available...?

3. carebear56

carebear56 New commenter

Well you're a help, aren't you! Did you read the OP?!

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I'm planning to do this with a bottom set, but not until Y11. I don't think I'll show a film, and I'll hope that they don't find one. Will try to make a start at the end of Y10 by introducing the characters of Jekyll and Hyde, and looking at how they're described.

Did this years ago with a good middle set, and it went over the heads of less able, but others enjoyed the story, even if they couldn't write about anything other than the plot. It's not really suitable for low ability, but what is? Of course, A Christmas Carol. Except that the less able still can't write about it beyond retelling the story.

Lit is now not suitable for the less able, especially now that English Language is so demanding.

5. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

What a strange comment. I wondered why you took the time. Yes, I did read it and then suggested the OP give more details to see if it's possible to scaffold rather than replace. What part of that suggestion was mortally offensive to elicit such a reply?

6. CagedBird

CagedBird New commenter

Penguin used to do simplified versions of this at various degrees. I used them with lower ability students for the overall story but also used extracts from the original for language study.

7. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Yes - do you mean Penguin Readers? Designed for EAL, but can obviously be used for lower ability. Google 'penguin readers jekyll' - this might be what you're after.