1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help can anyone answer my question?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Surely the school is aware you're looking for a permanent position and would have time to find someone else if necessary for the Jan 1-to-1?
    You haven't applied yet, yet alone got an interview or the job, so no need to panic yet.

2. The January job is not in a school and cannot be filled at last minute.

I know I am probably worrying for no reason but you do have to put your available start date on the application form don't you.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, yes you will need to put your availability to start. They might wait if you really impress! Well they would have done but not sure if they would these days?

4. annaliddell

annaliddell New commenter

If I was in your position I would ring and ask someone, possibly the head of department... If you do supply there - even better! You can ask someone face to face what they think!
    If they say no and they need someone to start in January then you will have to consider your options again!
    That is what I would do anyway! :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Next time you go to the school - or if not booked there, do it by phone - talk to someone about this.
    I'm not sure what sort of school, so it might be a HoD or Deputy or a KS Co-ordinator.
    Emphasise how keen you are to join them permanently as you appreciate working with such good colleagues.
    But also say that your personal principles would not let you walk out on a commitment and a promise that you have given.
    They should respect you for this.
    Then in your application, have a very brief paragraph saying the same thing.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars