1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - bullying

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kittyorca, Jan 3, 2011.

1. I would reallty appreciate some advice. My little girl is begging me almost daily (including in the holidays) to change her school as she is being bullied by one individual (a skilful manipulator) who is turning her friends against her leaving her alone at playtimes. Her teacher and the head don't seem very interested but I see it all the time as I do lunch duty (which I hate because of this). I don't feel they see the situation properly as she is fine in lessons and loves them, She just wishes there was no playtime or lunch break. I'm in a bit of a tricky situation as I work at the school and I feel that I'm always going on about this but nothing ever seems to get done.

2. I would reallty appreciate some advice. My little girl is begging me almost daily (including in the holidays) to change her school as she is being bullied by one individual (a skilful manipulator) who is turning her friends against her leaving her alone at playtimes. Her teacher and the head don't seem very interested but I see it all the time as I do lunch duty (which I hate because of this). I don't feel they see the situation properly as she is fine in lessons and loves them, She just wishes there was no playtime or lunch break. I'm in a bit of a tricky situation as I work at the school and I feel that I'm always going on about this but nothing ever seems to get done.

3. Speak tot he head again and say you don't want to cause any angst but you don't feel it is being dealt with and if she doesn't do anything you will go to the governors.

4. I have a similar situation with a manipulative child in my class. It is very difficult to see at first, but once you see it its obvious how devious they are being. Does your daughter tell the teacher when it happens? I would go into the school and talk to the class teacher about how your child has been feeling over the holidays about wanting to change school. If you can, start with the teacher - I know I hate it when the parents go to the head instead of me and it puts my back up. Ask other people on playground duty to keep an eye and see if they say the same thing - if they do start making a record of it. Keep away from your daughter as much as you can though - remember that school is her place and she needs her own space to grow as an individual.I know that will be hard for you as you want to be able to help your daughter.
    Sorry, I'm rambling, its getting late!

5. Thanks for the replies. When my daughter has told the teacher it all seems to backfire on her and the other girl cries and gets sympathy from the others or tells stories about things my daughter has done to cause it which my daughter says aren't true. So she now doesn't want to tell her teacher when things happen although I do urge her to. Also I did go to the head but only after telling the teacher for a while and feeling fed up when nothing was happening.

6. If you really feel that you've been observing this in a dispassionate way at lunch and you have exhausted all avenues, then look at other schools. At the end of the day, your child's health and happiness is more important. However, if you are able to get other adults during the lunchtime period observing this bullying behaviour, you might be able to try the teacher/head teacher route again. Good luck.