1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help! BTEC level 2 unit 1 - contextual refs

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by mistybrouhaha, Mar 12, 2012.

1. hello all
    i'm teaching this course for the first time this year and i'm still not 100% clear on the assessment criteria in some places..particularly M2 and D2 in unit 1.
    can anyone give me a concrete example of what it means to <u>'creatively connect contextual research</u>' please?
    many thanks!!

2. hello all
    i'm teaching this course for the first time this year and i'm still not 100% clear on the assessment criteria in some places..particularly M2 and D2 in unit 1.
    can anyone give me a concrete example of what it means to <u>'creatively connect contextual research</u>' please?
    many thanks!!

3. Hiya
    We do a project where the kids design a magazine article for an era in fashion design and illustration (but obviously you could apply this to any area in art and design).
    The kids start off by researching and responding to fashion illustration from a range of eras - I normally give them these. They then select their favourite one and create an article based around this. In the article they need to include appropriate imagery (which I get them to draw or photocopy from their book if good enough), a colour scheme, layout and fonts appropriate to their era. I also get them to write a paragraph on each of the following: fashion designers, influences and popular trends of the decade.
    I find 100 Years of Fashion Illustration really useful to support this project as it has lots of interesting illustrations along with enough contextual info for each decade,
    I hope that helps!

4. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Students' practical work should relate to, and show understanding of, other artists' work. A visual response to an artist rather than just a copy of their work.

5. Thanks Inkyblob that's really useful.
    My understanding is that they have to show their ideas have been progressed / influenced somehow by the artists work for a pass;
    use a variety of sources to do this for a merit;
    make creative/unusual links between artists work to support their ideas for a distinction.
    Would you agree?

6. Hi all art teachers,
    I'm so so glad I am not the only one confused with BTEC! Had a nightmare after I returned fro maternity leave at end of July, to be told we had to change to BTEC!
    Have had zero training and making it up as we go along, written scenarios for 4 units to get an extended certificate qualification but not had them verified! So just hoping it will all be ok!!!
    Am waiting on visiting another school to have a look at projects and paperwork.
    Does anyone else find that there are so many people doing different jobs that you are not sure who to contact???
    Any advice would be greatfully received!

Many Thanks. X