1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Broken USB, lost resources?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by roisinoz, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Hi - I wasn't sure where to post this. I have spent the half term break planning and finding awesome resources (mainly on TES) for my year 5/6 class. I saved all of these (in neatly organised folders) on my USB. The second day of school, someone pushes my chair in, which breaks the USB which was in the computer. Does anyone either:
    <ol>[*]Have any tricks to retrieve info from broken USB's[*]Know if there is a way of seeing what we have downloaded from TES? </ol> Thanks
    R

2. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

May be worth taking it to PC World, or similar, that have a walk-in technical help desk.

3. casper

casper New commenter

It will be on the computers hard disc somehwere.?? I think

4. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Oh no!
    I feel for you- this happened to me about 6 weeks ago and I fel that I have only just recovered!
    On the positive side, as someone else suggested, you might be able to get some tech guy (or gal) to fix it? I took mine to a local place who had once before managed to rescue my stuff when the blooimn' thing literally split apart. Involved a very small soldering iron. This one however, suffered a stangely similar accident to yours, bent over and when i tried to bend it back I apparently made it worse.
    I have finally managed to recover and have had to make all the resources, SOW and other stuff again. However, I cannot manage the stress again so;
    • back up the USB stick 3 times a week onto my laptop
    • have signed up for a Cloud (an online auto back up thing... don't ask me to explain!)
    You have my sympathy- good luck

Liz

5. In what way is it broken? If it is just the casing then it's fine. If the big bits (chips?) that are on the circuit board inside are undamaged then it should be retrievable I think. Is the USB bit that goes into the computer snapped off? I assume you've tried putting it in anyway?
    Where were you when you were downloading the files? Sometimes they don't go straight to your memory stick. On my laptop I have a download folder that everything goes to and then I have to shift it from. If you have something similar they might be still there.

6. Thanks - the bit that goes into the computer has been bent away from the other bit. The inside (chips) look undamaged, but it's not registering on the computer. I have a husband who is a little particular about the downloads folder being clear, so I put files straight onto USB. I backed it up about a month ago, so I have resources up til then, but of course all the work I've done over the break is now gone?!
    Thanks again.

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

[​IMG]

8. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

http://www.savemyusb.com/

This website saved my life a couple of months ago! I'd lost all of my work has I'd slacked off on backing up! It cost me but a lot less than it would've done to replan and remake all of my resources!