1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help basic maths resourses

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lynseybo, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Hi I need help I need to give my school a list of basic maths resourses that each clas needs to have does anyone have

2. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

... any punctuation ?
    [An idea of what key stage you are referring to would be helpful too!]

3. do you mean that the children should bring or the classroom should have available.

I take it that you have the dubious pleasure of having to kit out or order at the last minute due to someone else leaving or somesuch.

Basically in a maths lesson during the year a child may use

pen, pencil, ruler (quite important these), erasor, big ruler and tape measure [are handy for giving children practical experience of sizes of real objects], a pair of compasses, protractor, Cuisenaire rods (for learning fractions), calculator,
    geometic solids, multilink cubes, dice, pack of cards, lots of colours (felt tips pencil crayons), counters (even tiddlywinks would do), squared paper, graph paper (smaller squares), plain paper, tracing paper, isometric paper, mirrors, books? (it helps to have some)

you might want to get some suitable posters and printouts such as number lines, multiplication tables, number types chart,
    somehow I don't think I have covered it all but this would make a passable start at in KS3, KS4.

If anyone can think of anything that I have forgotten please add it on, it was just a list of what came into my head as I ran through the last year or so.

O and I assume that you have interactive whiteboard, reliable puter etc.
    An annual subscription to Mathletics or mymaths would be good (if you have a bigger budget !)

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have found great uses for my jar of centimetre cubes since acquiring them. Every class should have some.
    Mini white boards, pens and wipers.
    Sugar paper and marker pens.

5. not sure what resources you want but make staff aware of planning support (securing level 2,3,4 and 5 - available for download on Strategy website) and Overcoming barriers level 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 (4 to 5 not yet avaiable). I'd also give them a maths environment check list.
    Number fans, counting sticks, digit cards, numberlines with different scales running horizontally and vertically, dry wipe numberlines/clock faces/measuring jugs etc
    Make staff aware of the interactive teaching programmes (ITPs), Pitch and Expectation documents for each year group and Spread sheets - all available on maths library tab on strategy site

6. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

She gets good help at times, but does not return to say thanks

Here is another

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/440127/5989152.aspx#5989152

7. Not sure what age you're referring to, but I would add (not as basics, but useful all the same) multi-link cubes, Polydron, weights and scales, marked beakers, set of graphic calculators, set of digital cameras. (I mention the former items because I'm surprised at the lack of experience many students have with spatial problems and everyday measures).

8. Actually Bbibbler. I didn't know how to save messages just found out to. There is no need for the nasty comment. Thanks to those who helped.

9. DM

DM New commenter

Why did you need to know how to save messages in order to say "thanks"?

10. Cause couldn't find them

11. DM

DM New commenter

Ah I think you are talking about the Hotlist feature ... all becomes clear.

12. I didn't know there was such a thing and found it difficult to find the posts I had started.