1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Back in UK but no Thai Police Clearance Certificate

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jenini, May 14, 2016.

1. jenini

jenini New commenter

Hello all,

I have just arrived back in the UK after 5 months abroad in Thailand as a volunteer teacher.

I have signed up to join a local teaching agency and need to apply for a DBS check, however the teaching agency tell me I need a Police Clearance Certificate from Thailand. I hadn't realised this would be the case and so failed to get one whilst I was there and obviously I can't really go back now.

Have had a look online and it seems it is possible to do from overseas but the information is not very clear and I am not sure how possible it would be. For example I need to include a stamped addressed envelope for the return of the certificate - I assume that means Thai stamps which I have no ability to obtain now I'm in the UK.

Has anybody get any experience of having to apply for a Thai Police Clearance Certificate from the UK? I would appreciate any help or advice in this process. Alternatively, would a letter of good conduct from the charity I was working with be suitable in it's place or is a police certificate essential?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help with advise.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Gulfgolf posted this the other day, it may help.

"An update on the work of the International Task Force on Child Protection, with a link to a brilliant document showing how to go about getting a police clearance from just about any country. (Don't be 100% optimistic - some of those countries still require you to go there to apply in person.)

http://blogs.ibo.org/blog/2016/04/14/discussing-child-protection-in-international-schools/

http://www.cois.org/uploaded/Docume...arance/Police_Background_Check_Procedures.pdf"

I would say, although have nothing official on this, that the UK would definitely not take a letter. The UK actually check police records, most of the rest of the world it is just a paperwork exercise and isnt worth the paper it is written on

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

It is possible to obtain unused Thai stamps in the UK.

4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

It is worth repeating to anyone working abroad to obtain a police clearance before they leave the country.

5. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

[This comment/image/section has been removed for disruptive posting]

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
  6. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

Contrary to above, our Chinese and Korean visa processes and/or schools stipulated police checks if you have been living or working anywhere for more than three months.
    They are also checked, and as you have to submit your passport to get visas, which I presume will have been stamped when you entered and left Thailand, I don't think it would be worth fibbing about it.
    I believe some countries will sort them for you after you've left if you go to the embassy.

7. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
  8. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

When I submitted by passport for my Korean visa I was asked for my NZ police check because there was a NZ work visa in there, despite it being over the five years of police checks they had originally stipulated. Not a problem, because I had one. All I am saying is don't do anything that can so easily prove that you've lied about something. Or, just don't lie in the first place.
    The contracts that I've been sent for the jobs I have been offered this year state that if it turns out you've provided false information you can be fired without notice and may have to repay flights etc. Why risk that?

9. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I don't think there's a limit on how long you have to live somewhere before you can get a police clearance. After all, you can commit a crime within minutes of landing and have a record before you even leave the airport. How many drunken bachelor party guys have been arrested on their weekend binges in the Baltics?

jm439 likes this.
  10. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

If you are interested I can send you some Thai stamps.

Perce

11. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Yes, I had to get one for my job abroad. I got the details from an agency - maybe Search or similar. There was no need for an SAE - definitely a way to avoid that. You could ask the British Council in Siam Square for help.

12. Looseseal

Looseseal New commenter

This may be of no help but worth asking- can you definitely not get one from the embassy in the UK? I had worked in another country in Asia before I became a teacher so didn't know about getting police checks. I was able to get a police clearance by asking in person in that country's London embassy. Could be worth a shot?

Edit: I see you definitely can't do that. I would contact the people recommended in the above post or the embassy to clarify the stamps issue. Good luck!

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  13. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Get it sorted?

14. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

The British Council do not deal with visas or police checks.

They exist only to promote British culture and are not an embassy. Even if they were, embassies exist to help British citizens who are abroad, not those who have returned to the UK. I know of no other way to obtain a police check than by contacting the relevant embassy in the UK.

15. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I love this. 13 days ago I offered to send some Thai stamps, the OP hasn't bothered to contact me, so therefore is not really THAT bothered. Why post when you aren't actually interested?
    D'oh.

8 days...

Perce