1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Baby 4 months... why so fussy?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Coolgiraffe, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Well, baby CG is now 4 months and she was doing soooo well. Sleeping through from 7pm til 7am, bottle feeding well, behaving well...
    Now she is so fussy over her feeds, but so erratic with it. One feed she is calm and concentrates and the next she'll act like I'm poisoning her, sucking, then spitting the bottle out and wriggling around, she almost turns herself around facing the other way. She's gone from drinking 6-7oz every 3 hours to drinking about 5oz every 3 hours.
    She's waking at night between 1 and 3 times. not always the same time at night either. Last night she wouldn't settle back down and I gave in and fed her at 3am.
    i can't see any swelling in her gums or red flushes but she is dribbling more and tries to gnaw at anythingthat goes near her mouth - even my finger!
    Trying infacol again today to see if that helps behavior.
    To make matters worse she has found a high pitch squeal which she uses for everything - delight and annoyance!!! I hope she settles again soon i don't know how to help her xxxx

2. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

I think it's natural for babies to become fussier at feed times at around this age, no matter how old they are - it's to do with their interest in the world. Maybe she's hungrier at the feeds she settles too, or tireder, or less distracted for another reason? They do settle down again after a bit, but my LO always takes her bottle almost facing away from me so she can see what's going on!

As for the waking - google "four month sleep regression". The way that they sleep changes at around this age. She will settle back down again, it just takes them relearning how to sleep and settle themselves.
    I know that neither of those facts helps much, and saying that "it'll settle in time" doesn't make anything better, but hope it's reassuring to know that this is reasonably common? Also hope someone else comes along with useful advice for you soon!

3. CG this all sounds normal to me. I started going mad with this one at about 4 months cos she still wouldnt settle into a routine. Are you feeding her to a schedule during the day? I am a firm believer that it is much better to only feed them on demand and not dreamfeed. I snapped and stopped feeding mine at that age until she yelled. I discovered that actually she didnt want feeding till 8am despite waking at 6. I think feeding to a schedule just messes them up and by that age if they are fed on demand they will prob do the same each day. They do have hungry days and less hungry days also, which is normal. Oh and mine (6 months) usually still still wakes once at night for a feed...anytime between 11.30 and 5.30. Quite consistent ;-) And she will always take 8oz at night so she must be hungry!!!

4. nmason

nmason New commenter

Have you thought it could be the four month sleep regression?:
    http://www.askmoxie.org/2009/03/a-reminder-about-sleep-regressions.html
    It's renowned! Can last a few weeks but they do return to normal. Honest!

5. Coolgiraffe

Thank you so much folks xxx
    It is reassuring to know some of this behaviour is a natural phase!
    It was interesting to read about the sleep regression - thank you.
    Brettgirl, I do feed her on demand during the day, she's like clockwork with the 3 hour gap though. i only fed her last night after about an hour of trying to settle her with reassuring pats and gentle words, that wasn't working so fed her about 6 oz and she slept extremely well til about half past eight this morning.
    I feel better now after reading your replies xxxx

6. nawoods

nawoods New commenter

So glad to read this post!
    My little boy is now 4 months and for the past few weeks has been really fussy with his feeds. Sometimes only takes 3oz and refuses the rest. He was taking up to 6oz for some feeds but now it is a mission! He is has also started waking in the night. He used to go to bed a 7pm, have a feed at 11pm and then sleep until 5.30am (he has always been an early riser). Now he has been waking at 3/4am!
    This all wouldn't bother me but it seems to be affecting his weight gain. In the past 3 weeks he has only gained 2/3oz a week. He has always been following the 25th centile but is slowly dropping. I have been weighing him weekly on advice from the doctor who couldn't find an obvious reason for his fussiness. I am going back to see the doctor next week and if my LO still isn't gaining then he may refer us to a pediatrician.
    Has anyone else experiened this as it is driving me to tears. [​IMG]
    x x

7. Can I just ask what happened and did this all sort itself out Coolgiraffe? We are going through this now and need some hope! Lack of sleep is driving us crazy! Thanks in advance xxxx.

8. Nawoods- please don't let such an insensitive doctor upset you. Your LO is still putting on weight. You will know if your baby is well or not - trust your instincts. Try and find a health visitor that talks in common sense. In 8 weeks time (or sooner) you'll be introducing your baby to an exciting array of taste sensations. Good luck to you and CG.

9. Coolgiraffe

Hi,
    Sorry to hear you're going through this.
    I can tell you it definitely did sort itself out. It was all just a phase she went through. We started weaning her at 18 weeks and I'm not sure if it made the difference but gradually it all just stopped happening.
    Someone on here sent me a link or googled '4 month sleep regression' and the info that came up backed up the idea that it's a normal developmental stage.
    My LO is now 9 months but far ages now she's been sleeping from bedtime (6:30pm) until morning wake up (7:45 / 8:15ish) without any waking at all. A month ago we had some waking / crying in the evening but she was just having another phase of needing to be settled back down (no feeding).
    Just post on here any problems you're having and these lovely ladies will be sure to give great advice.
    xxx

10. Just realised I replied to a really old thread. Must be more diligent before I go wading in!

11. Oh thank you Coolgiraffe, I feel a lot better hearing that. Right then we are going to start on the baby rice tonight, I think she is definitely ready for it and it makes so much sense. She is 19 weeks so should be fine. Thank you so much again. I just need to know there is light at the end of the tunnel so I can power through the no sleeping. She has been so grumpy today from lack of sleep last night (woke up at three and wouldn't sleep until six, and then wouldn't feed after that). Nice to know that your little baba is doing well. Xxxx

12. Coolgiraffe

No problem Kugalis! Hope you get on ok with the weaning. If you find the baby rice isn't met with much approval try baby porridge. We get on quite well with the heinz ones for 4 months+ which you just add water to.
    Let us know how you get on and if you need any more help x

13. Coolgiraffe

Gosh!!! Hope it isn't a fluke but well done! Glad you got a good night.
    Even if she is going through a phase of being unsettled, at least you've got a new direction to go in. Why don't you try her in her own room too? Then hubby can have his room back!!!
    xxx

14. Good idea, I did mention that to him this morning, but then thought about all that lovely sleep I got without him snoring next to me. So I might take advantage and milk it for a bit. So naughty. I'm writing this while the baby is fast asleep having a really good nap. Amazing! Such a relief!

15. Coolgiraffe

Yes... naughty but nice [​IMG]
    enjoy xx
    PS how many naps and for how long is baby having? Usually the more they get during the day the better they sleep at night (only exception would be very late afternoon naps - probably no later than 3:30 / 4ish)