1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help at home

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by KG21, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Hi guys

Bit of help needed.... We've been asked to give mum some advice for her daughter in year 6. Shes undiagnosed but if shes not on the spectrum i must be a man (i assure you im not haha).
    The childs bnehaviour has got quite bad at home with regards to obsessions and not wanting activities to end. Tried simple things like a timer as suggested but hasnt worked, also suggested giving a visual prompt but hasnt worked.
    The child has also started to get quite upset and angry (not violent) but is finding this difficult to deal with and also difficult to interact with peers.
    Parents dont want to involve Dr's etc..
    Can anyone offer anything else? My background is Severe ASD in S.E.N schools, this child is in mainstream and parents dont want to accept their child is getting worse, also shes not as 'bad' as what im used too.

Sorry if choice of words isnt as appropriate as should be.

Please help...

2. Hi, they need to involve the Dr's, I know it's hard but if they and especially the child is to recieve help then it has to be done through the proper channels. Puts you in an awkward position I kinow as you obviously want to help, say this to the parents so that they know they have support. Good luck. (By the way I'm speaking as a parent, had to fight to get my son seen as all said he had no problems! He was diagnosed with aspergers at the age of 21!)