1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Assessment only QTS

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Henna647398393, May 22, 2019.

1. Henna647398393

Henna647398393 New commenter

I have been offered a job in an international school in Kuwait that offers to do my NQT induction period. However, after my own research I have come to find that the QTS will be gained from assessment only. Its a much shorter route for an unqualified teacher to gain QTS. But, I am a qualified teacher.

Would this still be recognised when I return back to the UK? Or would I have to do my NQT all over again (if I manage to find a permanent position).

Any advice is much appreciated.

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

You are confusing two separate issues here.

1.QTS is your teaching qualification.

2.NQT is you Induction/ Probation year.

If the school has maintained its registration with the British Schools Overseas it will indeed be able to offer both of these rubber stamps. But the whole process will take 2 years to complete.

The question is why a school with BSO membership is employing an unqualified teacher in the first place?

afsheen1239873 likes this.
  3. Henna647398393

Henna647398393 New commenter

Thank you very much for your informed answer. Much appreciated.

I contacted DfE and they also explained that the two are different which I now understand. The school do have the correct association but their last observation was in 2015 according to DfE.

DfE have said the school will qualify for an induction period if the inspection was completed within the last 3 years. The headteacher has responded to my email and said that the observation was completed by PENTA last year but due to admin problems it's not been published. How can I check this is true and it really has been completed as I don't want to take on the job if my NQT induction is not completed? And is PENTA truly recognised as I was given 5 associations but PENTA wasn't one. However, BSO was one of them.

Any advice appreciated