1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!APPLYING PGCE!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Annie_86, Sep 14, 2011.

1. I have recently moved to England and I am looking for advice finding a work placement? I contacted my local council and they adviced to personally contact schools. I sent each school(11 in total) a professional email regarding the matter. Unfortunately only one responded and declined. Should I send a letter- CV-or even visit the school for a response?I really want to start this asap so I can get as much classroom experience as possible! Any advice would be great.
    Thanks

2. I have recently moved to England and I am looking for advice finding a work placement? I contacted my local council and they adviced to personally contact schools. I sent each school(11 in total) a professional email regarding the matter. Unfortunately only one responded and declined. Should I send a letter- CV-or even visit the school for a response?I really want to start this asap so I can get as much classroom experience as possible! Any advice would be great.
    Thanks

3. If you do not have an English qualification at the moment, as things stand, aim for a TA post...or HLTA post.
    Send a CV etc too, I hear it may be a way in... just a thought!

Mx

4. Thanks!! I have 5 Highers and 2 Advance Highers these included Maths and English, so TA could ba a possibility. I am just concerned that there are not many for secondary Drama...mmm.I will have a look for this position , honestly I'm not sure if it's just for one classroom,one subject or one specific indivudual who neeeds extra assistance but I'll check that out just now!HOPEFULLY SOMEONE WILL HAVE ME IN THERE DRAMA CLASS!HEHE!

Thanks Again Mandy![​IMG]

5. Annie, have you had someone check your written applications, cover letter etc?

6. I'm not sure what you are looking for? Are you looking for a teaching position? Or classroom experience prior to applying for teacher training? Do you have a degree?
    Teaching assistants are employed throughout the school, it is very rare they are confined to depts, especially small depts like drama.

7. Iam looking for a<u> work shadowing</u> placement in drama - however it was recommended to look also at TA position in secondary .(thanks Mandy!)
    My aim is to apply for PGCE Secondary Drama 2012.
    I have 2.1 HONS BA Performance
    HIHER ;English, Maths,German,Music and also two advanced highers followed in Drama and German.
    I believe I have enough qualificatons and experience working with youths however NOT OBSERVING A CLASS.So really my aim is to get into a school so I can redeem this!
    I have personally worked on all my cvs and cover letters and now have passed these on to agencys in order to find someone work in North West.
    As I have notgot any experience of secondary ciriculmn I feel that TA would be[*]even if it was not solely in Drama-I could look at class management, strategy ,pastoral role......
    Thanks for all your feedback- any suggestions or tips are really appreciated!!![​IMG]

8. Annie, I'm still wondering if it's the quality of your written communication that's preventing you getting a foot in the door.

9. It's exactly 1 week tomorrow since sent emails and cover letters, if I haven't had any positive responses after 10 days I shall try get someone in the profession to look over these documents.
    Thanks

10. THANKS FOR EVERYONES ADVICE!!!
    JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I HAVE A PLACEMENT [​IMG]