1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Anyone know anything about mobile phones and mystery texts?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Waterfin, Aug 10, 2011.

1. I've only recently swapped to having a contract phone with orange (htc wildfire s).
    I love my phone. It does everything I want it to.
    What I don't love is the fact that there are texts that show on my orange bills that I haven't made. To make things worse, they are 15 digit texts that start with the digits 32. Orange tell me that they are international texts to Belgium and that the only way they can be showing on the bill is if they have been made by me. Because they are international, they incurr as 17p charge each time. Each month there are about 6 showing on my bill.
    I've called and had the money refunded the first month. They offered to put a block on my phone for international numbers.
    I've called again for the following month and they have refunded the money for the new texts. They informed me that the block only works on calls, not texts. I then had the helpful advice to keep checking my bills and calling to get the amounts refunded each month.
    More already show on my bill, so I've already called back. They have changed my number. Not sure how this can help though.

I've never had a smartphone before and am wondering whether it is possible that my sim has been cloned or whether there is an app that is sending these texts from my handset somehow.
    If anyone can shed any light on it, I'd appreciate it.

2. I've only recently swapped to having a contract phone with orange (htc wildfire s).
    I love my phone. It does everything I want it to.
    What I don't love is the fact that there are texts that show on my orange bills that I haven't made. To make things worse, they are 15 digit texts that start with the digits 32. Orange tell me that they are international texts to Belgium and that the only way they can be showing on the bill is if they have been made by me. Because they are international, they incurr as 17p charge each time. Each month there are about 6 showing on my bill.
    I've called and had the money refunded the first month. They offered to put a block on my phone for international numbers.
    I've called again for the following month and they have refunded the money for the new texts. They informed me that the block only works on calls, not texts. I then had the helpful advice to keep checking my bills and calling to get the amounts refunded each month.
    More already show on my bill, so I've already called back. They have changed my number. Not sure how this can help though.

I've never had a smartphone before and am wondering whether it is possible that my sim has been cloned or whether there is an app that is sending these texts from my handset somehow.
    If anyone can shed any light on it, I'd appreciate it.

3. Have you tried Googling the number? If anyone else is having the same problem, they may well have mentioned it online so you can at least find out if others are having the same problem.

4. Thanks for your reply RadoJo. I have googled it and got nowhere. I have found mention of trojan viruses for phones that result in the phone sending texts, but I've scanned my phone using my PC and found no threats on the phone itself.

5. inq

inq

6. I did and read it with interest in case it was something similar. Unfortunately it is completely different. Her son's phone is being charged for receiving texts, mine seems to be making them as far as orange are concerned, even though I am not using my phone itself to do it.
    Thanks, though. [​IMG]