1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help and ideas needed! Wow lesson linked to literacy Alice in Wonderland theme

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jeannineastley, May 25, 2016.

1. jeannineastley

jeannineastley New commenter

I'm an NQT in a year 4 class. Next half term we will be studying Alice in Wonderland, and as a WOW to start off the topic I will be decorating the entire classroom to represent the Disney movie. I've just been informed that the first lesson back, the head would like to observe me teach literacy. I will obviously be introducing the book but I would like an exciting way to do this whilst still showing some learning. Thanks in advance for any help, a tired NQT :)

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think the Head wants to see the children making progress as the essential priority, so make that your focus and the 'exciting' your secondary consideration.

jeannineastley likes this.
  3. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Why are you doing the Disney version? The original illustrations are much more detailed and interesting. There was literature before Disney. Good grief.

Kartoshka, minnie me and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. NarnianRoyalty

NarnianRoyalty Occasional commenter

Perhaps you could read the story opening, then show clips of how the Disney/Johnny Depp films begin, with the children taking compare and contrast notes. You could follow up with a short persuasive writing task (I think the Disney/Real life film opening is most similar to the book because...) For a plenary you could do a 3-2-1 pyramid (3 things I remember, 2 things I liked and 1 thing I want to read more about).

5. jeannineastley

I will be using the Lewis Carrol version for all of my teaching, just used the Disney characters to brighten my classroom up :)

6. jeannineastley

Thank you for your reply! Very helpful!!