1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help and advice...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SamDumpling, Feb 27, 2011.

1. I have worked at my current school for almost 3 years, when I started as an NQT. During that time I have always taught the same year group and have been promised a move this Summer. My first two years at the school were very successful - I was graded outstanding by OfSTED, regularly graded well in reviews by the leadership team, headteacher and local authority. I was also given a Grade1 by our school improvement partner where 'teaching and learning were outstanding' and 'good practice should be shared amongst other schools'. This followed a successful degree where I was awarded a prize for achievements on teaching practice. Please don't take this as me blowing my own trumpet - I'm not - but what comes next is important!
    We had a change of Head in the Summer and since then my teaching has been graded as inadequate three times with 'teaching and learning' been the main concern. Had I not previously been successful, had my teaching changed or even my year group I could understand more. It seems purely that the Headteacher doesn't 'get' my teaching style.
    I have posted this firstly to get things off my chest, secondly to ask for some advice. I am feeling nervous going back to school after half term because of the extra pressure added to me because I am not only apparantley 'inadquetae' but I am also made to feel it by the extra demands placed upon me by him.
    Sorry for the long message - hope someone out there can help!

2. I have worked at my current school for almost 3 years, when I started as an NQT. During that time I have always taught the same year group and have been promised a move this Summer. My first two years at the school were very successful - I was graded outstanding by OfSTED, regularly graded well in reviews by the leadership team, headteacher and local authority. I was also given a Grade1 by our school improvement partner where 'teaching and learning were outstanding' and 'good practice should be shared amongst other schools'. This followed a successful degree where I was awarded a prize for achievements on teaching practice. Please don't take this as me blowing my own trumpet - I'm not - but what comes next is important!
    We had a change of Head in the Summer and since then my teaching has been graded as inadequate three times with 'teaching and learning' been the main concern. Had I not previously been successful, had my teaching changed or even my year group I could understand more. It seems purely that the Headteacher doesn't 'get' my teaching style.
    I have posted this firstly to get things off my chest, secondly to ask for some advice. I am feeling nervous going back to school after half term because of the extra pressure added to me because I am not only apparantley 'inadquetae' but I am also made to feel it by the extra demands placed upon me by him.
    Sorry for the long message - hope someone out there can help!

3. Oh dear, I do feel for you. I think you should be talking to your union though and get advice there as you will be able to give them all the details that you obviously can't post on this sort of forum.
    Good luck.

4. Thanks I was thinking the Union would be the way to go.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would definitely talk to your union as well.

The other problem could be that sometimes a new leader comes in and sees that all was not well and has to make changes. Obviously I have no idea at all about your school or you as a teacher, so could be way off the mark here, but there are schools where SMT regularly grade teachers as good and outstanding because the lessons were fun and exciting, not realising(or not minding) that no-one actually learned anything or made any progress. A new head, totally focussed on raising standards of attainment, isn't blinded by excitement and so grades lessons poorly because no-one appeared to learn anything. Nothing the teacher or pupils do has actually changed, but the focus and standards are different.

You should have been told why they thought the lesson was inadequate. 'Teaching and Learning' is not enough, ask for specifics. Think hard whether the criticism is fair and if actually yes that might have been an issue in that lesson. Even if you think it was unfair, make darn sure it isn't there for your next observation. State the obvious constantly in your observations.

And after three years in the same school, the last of which is less than happy, might indicate it is time to move on. Good luck whatever you do.