1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help and advice please

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Jul 1, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

O/h's birthday is on Monday so we invited some friends for dinner (6) long before he was ill.
    I'm busy preparing dinner: the menu has resolved itself to be:
    • amuse bouches (choux buns with savoury fillings + cheese straws + mini quiches)
    • gravad lax (curing in the fridge as I type)
    • roast duck breats, orange-madeira sauce with boulangère potatoes and watercress & orange salad
    • a trio of rhubarb puddings
    ...and herein lie my queries:
    <ol>[*]daughter made crumble mix for mini rhubarb crumbles and over worked it into a paste: can I use the paste to make biscuits? I cannot see why not - what do you think?[*]I want to do a "kir royale" made of rhubarb syrup and sparkling Moscato: how can I clarify the fruit syrup? At present I have it dripping through a coffee filter - is that enough? I know all about egg white to clarify consomm&eacute;, but this is a fruit/sugar-based liquid. What would work?</ol>Thanks
    H
    x

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Jelly bag, it's a sort of thick bag made from some sort of thickvilene.
    Alteratively whisked egg wjites?

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

No egg wjites wouldn't work, nor egg whites!!
    Try pouring it through some thick layers of clean tea towel. leave to drip, don't squeeze.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

No. Egg white won't work.
    I've clarified rhubarb syrpu for a jelly by letting it drip through really good paper towels (Plenty...used to be Bounty).
    I'v also had a rhubarb bellini and the trick is to get the rhubarb syrup wuite sweet, otherwise it's very powerful. Might sound a bit odd, but I think a glug of sloe gin added to the syrup would improve the flavour hugely. If you need some I've got loads. Also I will message you about a littel something I hope you can join.
    BTW...menu sound AWESOME!!!! All my favourites....yummy! I hope Mr H has a fantastic evening x

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Apologies for silly typos and forgetting to hit the 'edit' button!

6. Use really thick kitchen roll (Bounty it the thickest I have found).

7. oooooooooooh, missed this.
    Not called Plenty here!

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

It's a Georgio Locatelli recipe:
    <u>Tortino d'amaretto e rabarbaro</u>
    Serves 8
    1kg/2 &frac14; lb rhubarb, chopped
    300g/10oz caster sugar
    1 cinnamon stick
    300g/10oz amaretti biscuits
    I75g/6oz butter, plus a little melted butter for brushing
    90ml/3fl oz Amaretto di Saronno liqueur
    3 eggs
    40g/1 &frac12; oz plain flour
    icing sugar for dusting
    1. Put the rhubarb in a saucepan with 250g/9oz of the sugar, the cinnamon stick and a few tablespoons of water. Simmer for 5 minutes, until tender. Remove the cinnamon stick, then tip the rhubarb into a sieve and leave to drain over a bowl overnight (the rhubarb needs to be very dry).
    2. Put the amaretti biscuits in a food processor and whizz until finely ground. Add the butter, Amaretto liqueur, eggs, flour and the remaining sugar. Whizz to combine the ingredients well, then cover and leave in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
    3. Preheat the oven to i70&deg;C/325&deg;F/Gas Mark 3. Brush a non-stick 23cm/9in spring form cake tin with a little melted butter. Spread half the amaretti paste in the bottom and leave to rest in the fridge for 10 minutes. Cover the paste with the drained rhubarb and then cover that with the rest of the amaretti paste. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the top is firm and golden.
    4. When the tart is cooked, carefully remove it from the tin and place on a serving plate. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm or cold.

9. That looks gorgeous - thank you Henriette
    How was your dinner last night?

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

It was fabulous, thanks.
    All the food worked just right (although the duck took longer to cook than anticipated!) and there was very little to do in the kitchen during the meal so I got to sit with our friends and relax.
    We didn't get to bed till after 2, so I must have done something right!!

H
    x