1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help and advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ch3367, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Dear Theo
    Good afternoon,
    I've searched the forums and found some great advice - so firstly, thank you to everyone!
    There are still a few points that are causing me some confusion (and delaying me actually getting these forms done!).
    1 - the online applications save your details for each post you apply for. There's only space for a personal statement. Does this mean it will be okay NOT to send a covering letter/exec summary?
    2 - how far back should I go with qualifications? I'm 36, a primary NQT - do I include GCSE results?
    3 - in courses/CPD section - should I list absolutely every training session I have attended? NQT year has 5 days which are most recent but as I achieved QTS via GTP route I attended a training session every week for just abou the whole year?
    and (apologies) 4 - beside the 'APPLY ON LINE' link it often says that completed applications should be returned to the school. This confuses me as I wonder whether they might prefer me to complete the word version and print and deliver the hard copy?
    any advice would be brilliant - thank you

2. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Theo is better qualified to answer this but here's my halfpenny's worth.
    1- Leave that for Theo. (But in my last app I - sorry TG- didn't send either, i JUST filled in the form because the Head said they would only read that during my visit. Hey ho, I got an interview.)
    2_ I would say yes to GCSEs- they need to see that you have maths and english and a science as primary teacher, at least! And grades. I also include A Levels, degree etc. With grades and dates.
    3- I wouldn't put every GTP training session - I did GTP too- I would def put in every NQT session you did in as much detail as you can. You could give details of training you did on GTP in personal statement- briefly, as relevant to the job spec. (AFL, outdoor learning? that kind of thing, where you did it and with whom, names are good if you are in county because everyone knows everyone.)
    4- You can send online (I do every time now) or post it ( a little more risky but gives a personal touch- you can actually sign it!)

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Tip for next time - put Dear Theo as part of your title, as I don't always have time to open everything on the off-chance that it's inside.
    Thanks for the questions numbered . . .
    Q1 If there is no way to send a letter then you cannot send one. You do the statement instead. If the space does not expand to allow you to send a summary too, you could try posting it separately . . . Up to you.
    Q2 Don't put in all your GCSE unless they specifically ask for them. Just say: 10 passes A*-C (Or A*-B, or whatever they are overall) at GCSE, including Maths and English.
    Q3 Goodness, no! No-one wishes to read all that! Write something general: Attend all weekly training sessions on subjects such as Safeguarding (then list another two or three).
    Q4. If this is a general application site, rather than on-line from the school's own website, it looks as though they do want it in hard copy if they say this. Actuallky I would just ring them and ask what they expect.
    Best wishes

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My LA does this as well. If you apply for a post that isn't teaching, your application goes to the LA offices. The teaching ones go to the school all by themselves as an email.

I generally email the form as an attachment so I can send an exec summary as well and then not do the apply online thing.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sorted!
    Thanks, Minnie.
    Best wishes