1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help and advice needed please - Thinking of quitting the course

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by L0ttieloulou, Feb 21, 2019.

1. L0ttieloulou

L0ttieloulou New commenter

I’m currently doing my pgce in primary education through a school direct program and really struggling. I’ve now had 6 observations all marked as required improvement and no matter what I do I never improve. Everyone is telling me not to quit because I’m over halfway through but I just don’t know if I can carry on. Really affecting my mental health and I come home and cry most nights because I’m anxious about it all.

Advice would be great on what my options are!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Are you receiving specific targets for you to improve on? Then you need to ask for specific suggestions as to how you can implement some improvements in those areas. And work on them.

Normally I tell students it always gets hard around this time and to persevere, and I'm sorry to say this, but in your case with so many RI observations, unless you do manage to improve, you're not going to pass the course anyway. You should be asking for guidance from your training provider and possibly looking at alternatives, before you end up in possible debt with nothing to show for it.
    If you quit now , for health reasons, before 'failing' and I'm wondering if it might be possible to pick up and finish the course successfully at some later date?

agathamorse likes this.
  3. 1FineDay

1FineDay New commenter

Sorry to hear about your situation!

I think you should seriously consider deferring your course until next year. Your mental health is not worth sacrificing just to struggle through until the end (especially if you are not currently on track to meet required standards).

Speak with your tutor and student advisers - state that you don't want to lose the work you have done, but don't feel like you are in a good place at the moment - would it be possible to defer the second half of your course until next year?

Take some time out, relax and recuperate. Have a change of environment for a while and then come back to thinking if teaching is what you really want to pursue. If it is, then you can take up the deferred course next year. If not, let go and never look back!

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Discuss your options with your mentors and ask for additional support. School Direct is meant to be a training route but the pressure of full time work can prevent that happening unless its carefully managed.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.