1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help and advice needed please!!! Moving to R/Yr1

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by fefewilko, May 18, 2011.

1. I have just been told I am moving to the R/Yr1 class in September and although I am very excited about the change and challenge I face I am really unsure about what and where to start. I would like to make the most of my time before I move classes and so I have already arranged visits to other schools with 'good' and 'outstanding' EYFS as well as visits to the pre-school to meet my future reception children.
    My main worry is the FS/Yr1 split and how I am best to address both groups without causing any damage to either. I am also a little worried about the first few weeks of Aut term and what to plan as I know the reception children will be so unaware of school rules/routines!
    I would appreciate any advice, tips, ideas or books people would recommend I read that may help!
    Thanks in advance for your time

2. I have just been told I am moving to the R/Yr1 class in September and although I am very excited about the change and challenge I face I am really unsure about what and where to start. I would like to make the most of my time before I move classes and so I have already arranged visits to other schools with 'good' and 'outstanding' EYFS as well as visits to the pre-school to meet my future reception children.
    My main worry is the FS/Yr1 split and how I am best to address both groups without causing any damage to either. I am also a little worried about the first few weeks of Aut term and what to plan as I know the reception children will be so unaware of school rules/routines!
    I would appreciate any advice, tips, ideas or books people would recommend I read that may help!
    Thanks in advance for your time

3. We are moving from being a Reception class ( which I already teach)to a R/Yr1 Class too.

I went on a course recently and they highly recommended this book: Moving onto KS1 by Julie Fisher...there are other good ones by Ros Bailey and Sally Featherstone.

REMEMBER that the children do not have to have the NC until the term after their fifth birthday. Its stage not age....

But use this blog, because it is genius. The whole thing is great, but there is a good bit on Transition on one of the links.

www.abcdoes.typepad.com

He is doing courses around the Uk in the Autumn term and I for one will be there!

Hope this helps in some way.

4. Thank u, that is a great point about having to have the NC after their 5th birthday! That link is great too [​IMG]