1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help & Info

Discussion in 'Personal' started by The Pobble, Mar 24, 2012.

1. I imagine that was because a quick Google gives you 3 addresses to contact if you can't get any joy from your school. Find the exam board/s, print out the request form, add payment and post!
    It's a very popular question, apparently!

2. I think whacko was being a little evil.. I have lost a not-very-important certificate and I phoned the institution last week. A copy will cost £40. I know I haven't thrown it away so I am going to keep on looking!

3. I contacted the SQA (Scottish Qualifications Authority) when I needed my certificates, which had been lost over the years. Depending on where you went to school, you should contact the equivalent exam board.

4. Of course - how dumb/naive was I?

£40 seems a bit steep, wonder how they justify it? Keep looking. I have no idea where any of mine are (pre-degree) I lost them almost as soon as I got them. But now I know how to get them.....

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

This is one of the reasons I will probably never be able to leave my currect school, no one will ever believe I have any qualifications unless I know where they are - and I don't.

6. I shouldn't have made my earlier post. Even to put the germ of an idea into someone's head that they could forge certificates is wrong.
    I agree with those posters who suggest contacting the school. Also, if it's important to the OP to have certain qualifications, it's not too late to go to evening classes.

7. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

The salaried time it takes to deal with the query, search, confirm, print and post.
    Typically 15 minutes on the phone, where the following will have happened:
    • Caller is hazy about the dates
    • Caller is hazy about the subjects
    • Caller is not sure which exam boards were used - in England they have merged and changed names - so is s/he even on the phone to the right one.
    • Caller's school may have closed/merged/changed name.
    • Caller won't remember the Centre Number.
    • Caller won't remember the precise title of the qualification "...er... I had a diploma in..." or level.
    • etc
    By the time the best info possible re above is discerned, the exam board then has to look, find or not, then reply.
    Then the caller has to stump up the money which is processed, then process a certificate or compose a specific letter to address caller's circumstances.
    This can take well over an hour.
    For an administrator on a decent salary + pension + nat insurance + return cost to centre + print cost + possible tailored letter + small profit on easy cases to subsidise harder ones, I reckon £40 is very reasonable.

8. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Do you need proof that you attended school or proof that you achieved certain grades? You might be able to do a distance learning course in English and maths to get a couple of certificates that way. If you only need proof that you attended school you may be able to get a letter from your old school.
    I needed my certificates but it was going to cost £25 whether they were found or not so I decided just to do the two qualifations as it was free. I don't remember who I approached about getting replacement certs but it was only two years ago so I don't know why the price is now so much higher.
    I didn't twig on about the reference to the computer and printer - how thick am I? Is it wrong to create a copy of a certificate that you did actually have?

9. Dozy I don't think that would be wrong at all, as long as you explain. "I did go to Oxbridge, matter of fact I got a first; sadly my Mum and Dad have the original certificate framed in the downstairs look so I have made my own. Hope that's OK"
    I was looking for my cert in Advanced Education Management. It would count towards a Masters if I felt like doing one in the future. This was for applying for a job and to be honest I didn't think it would make any difference so I didn't bother to get a copy. Still haven't found it though...