1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help Alice with her bucket list, please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moomoon, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Hello
    I am lucky enough to have met this young lady
    http://alicepyne.blogspot.com/

She is has terminal cancer- she was searching for a bone marrow donor but sadly, the cancer spread too far and she has decided to write a bucket list... the blog is spreading via Twitter and Facebook so hopefully this will do some good and her list can be ticked off.
    I would like to help the appeal so thought I'd direct some Tessers her way, she is a lovely young lady- brave, bright and full of spirit. If you can help in anyway- by spreading her story via facebook or Twitter, please do.

The more publicity she gets, the better. She would also love anyone to sign up to bone marrow donation.
    Please spare a few minutes to read her blog.

2. MayKasahara

MayKasahara New commenter

I think this was mentioned on Prime Minister's Questions earlier, she sounds very brave.

3. You are indeed lucky to have met this young lady. I would consider it a priveledge.
    Has put my stresses of the day into perspective.

4. sep2

sep2 New commenter

Alice also has a post pals page http://www.postpals.co.uk/pals/Alice+P
    This site is set up so people can send letters and gifts to poorly children. Have a look here too.
    She really is a remarkable young lady.

5. Thanks, had not heard of post pals before- will think about what I can send.

6. sep2

sep2 New commenter

Post pals is a charity I love. So simple, no money involved (really) just a bit of time. I am a regular writer and get the odd reply or mention on the website (which isn't why I do it but is nice when it happens). I also join in with some of their monthly activities if I have time. For example at chritmas I was an "elf" and sent a gift to the value of £15 to one pal. Just little things. I also love it because too many young people have lost the art of writing a proper letter.
    I have actually just written to Alice as I think I have helped organise a few things on her bucket list (well I have had a go and had a few emails back) and I enjoy writing to the pals on post pals too.

7. It is a lovely charity... and will start writing and sending stuff. The stories are really making my heart ache. Such long battles.
    If you ever have a week to spare, and I obviously have no idea what your commitments are, then www.otw.org.uk are a lovely charity- they enable children, like Alice, to have a week on camp and just be a normal child... I have volunteered before I started my own family and it is amazing.... I think the volunteers gain so much more from the campers than they gain from us.... I am lucky to have met such inspirational and lovely people.

8. Hi, I came across this by chance, clicked on her blog and had a read -wow!.... I am a NHS blood donor and on the Anthony Nolan register but i didnt realise the NHS had a register too, after checking their website I just phoned them up as i didnt know what the best way was to go about it and they said that the next time i give blood i have to mention i want to be on their bone marrow register and they take an extra sample of blood -its that easy, i wish more people would do it. Im putting a note on my facebook page and will try to spread the word at work too x

9. Well I think her story is amazing. I looked yesterday and she had added some links to her blog, one of which is her sisters race for life page. Yesterday I looked and she had something like £1800, today she is almost at £20000. Unbelievable.Go Millie :)
    Sure she will make the £20000 before the day is out, I've made my donation.