1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help... After school club ideas

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Hobsonm02, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Hobsonm02

Hobsonm02 New commenter

I am starting my first job in September as a graduate TA and have been asked if I would like to run an after school club and of course I said YES!!

Does anybody have any good ideas for clubs that have previously worked well in their schools? I am looking for ideas as the school already runs the clubs I had initially thought of and now my ideas are running low!

Thank you :)

2. Studentteacher101

Studentteacher101 New commenter

Hi, I have also recently graduated, except, I will be a full time classroom teacher.

I think with an after school club it must be something you're interested in or something you would like to develop yourself. There really is an endless amount of possibilities. E.g. If you are a creative person you may wish to consider art/drawing, craft, seewing, knitting clubs. You could also think about a variety of music clubs if you play any instruments, dance clubs (street, hip hop, ballroom), sports clubs (football, hockey, tennis). Particular subjects could als be a consideration, e.g. science club, history club, computing club, geography club. Or, there are always the usual, if your school doesn't already have them, such as hw club, breakfast club (obviously this would be before school), spelling club.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi Hobsonm02, congratulations on your first TA job. Lots of good ideas above, I would also add: reading club (lovely to do with any age/level, but great with higher ability readers) ... or, one I have done which worked really well - board games. It's amazing the number of children these days who have never played ludo, snakes and ladders, dominoes ... the list is endless.

4. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

Film club is a good one and very say to run and set up but of course depends on the needs of the children.

5. TheGentleman

TheGentleman Occasional commenter

Debating club

6. pcsmush

pcsmush Occasional commenter

I currently run a 'Crime Lab Club' with Year 1 and 2 children.
    The children have to pay about 4 pounds a term. :)

They get to dust for fingerprints and create casts of body parts and so on. :p :)

7. karlkarlkarl

karlkarlkarl New commenter

I have run a photography club for the last couple of years which the kids really enjoy. It has also turned into a little bit of a stop-motion animation club. As others have said, think about what you are interested in.

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

What about a chess club? A writing club might also work if you are interested in writing.

9. chloef23

chloef23 New commenter

We do a newspaper club at our school

10. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I really recommend something which involves minimal set up, resources and planning.

I used to run a cooking club. I loved the hour working with the kids - but it also entailed going to tesco the day before to purchase ingredients, then writing out a claim form after for the money back. Really added quite a lot of hassle to my week!!

A colleague runs colouring club, just print pages of the Internet and off you go!! Likewise coding club (if you can code), homework club or a sport you enjoy are relatively easy. Unfortunately, I've just been informed that next year, I will need to risk assess netball club and any home netball matches we have (already have to do away). Can't be bothered spending 40mins on a risk assessment for a 40 minute game (which 50% of the time is cancelled cos of bad weather - so you have to redo the risk assessment) so it'll be no more netball team for the school. Such a shame. Bloody red tape

11. TheGentleman

TheGentleman Occasional commenter

@chloef23 newspaper club. I'm intrigued. Could you elaborate on that please.

12. chloef23

chloef23 New commenter

@TheGentleman

We've run it since I started at the school and produce an issue per term. The newspaper team consists of roughly 12-20 (dependent on other clubs) Y5 and Y6 pupils. With occasional help by younger children if the article requires their insight.

At the start of the term the club brainstorms the articles they would like to cover and assign different journalists to different articles. They then interview other children and teachers, take pictures etc. before typing up their article. Previous articles include: topic (our school follows a creative curriculum), meet the teacher, sporting events (we've taken children to matches which they then write up), charity events (e.g. Sport Relief, Children in Need) and then anything special which happens in the term (this term is a special Y6 leavers edition where the entire cohort has been interviewed by the newspaper club).

The end result is usually fantastic and I am very proud of our hard-working children. However, it takes a LOT of work to format and produce the final edition ready for sale.

TheGentleman likes this.
  13. questionsandanswers

questionsandanswers Occasional commenter

Here's some ideas and well done on your new job

sport club

a revision class for a subject you teach

ask the children fo recomendations and then have a class vote