1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help & Advice

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by peterparker, Feb 2, 2016.

1. peterparker

peterparker New commenter

Hi all, new to posting on here but could do with some advice.

I have just received notification that I have got an interview for my first SLT post. During the interview I have been asked to give a 10 minute presentation, NOT using PowerPoint or other similar packages. The presentation title is "What will outstanding key stage 5 achievement look like and how are we going to accomplish it?"

Anybody got any hints and tips, would be grateful.

Cheers

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Photocopy some children's work?

Use a flip-chart?

Perhaps they are testing your ability to hold their attention for 10 minutes.

3. peterparker

peterparker New commenter

Yeah thought flip chart presenting mind map or flowchart. Can't photocopy work, the what does it look like is more hypothetical than reality.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that interview!

My main comment on this is that asking and getting support for the How of the presentation is fine, but it's not a good idea for anyone to post any content suggestions, as this is a public forum. Heads have been known to read these forums, and other candidates might read the ideas and copy them.

:(

But you haven't had any content suggestions, so that's good!

HERE is a nice Golden Oldie with hints for how to present. You might find it useful. Also useful could be the numerous advice articles on interviews - come down to the Jobseekers (scroll down the forum list to find it) and ask if you would like a link to those.

Best wishes

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  5. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

It sounds like they want to see how engaging you are, particularly with this topic of engagement and achievement at KS5, which can be tricky.

Definitely try to do something a bit different to make you stand out, but avoid anything that takes away from the message. Remember, that is what you want them to remember you for!

Good luck!

6. banjouk

banjouk Occasional commenter

Some background information might be gained by going here http://www.watchsted.com pulling off the Ofsted reports for recent Outstanding schools (with outstanding 6th forms). The DfE performance tables will also show you similar schools to your own. Lookup those that have recently been graded 1 to get a ball park figure of where as a school you will need to aiming. If they are close by, arrange a visit/dropin to see their head of sixth form or give them a ring and chat about what they have in place.

And Good Luck!

7. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Apologies for flippancy, @peterparker, as I genuinely wish you luck.

I just had to smile at the instruction that you shouldn't use Powerpoint for your SLT interview.....Come on, you'll need to DO TRAINING DAYS!!!

Oh the irony ; )

8. Resolve

Resolve New commenter

Congratulations on the interview. Rumours of the Death by Powerpoint have been exaggerated, but it's nice to see the panel want to have have a conversation and not a set of bullet points. So enjoy the interaction.

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

a) A noticeable increase in results above and beyond natural statistical variation.

b) Employing good teachers.

You'll need about 9:55 of padding

Good luck