1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! advice needed re Year 6 fiction writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by abnewt, Mar 11, 2012.

1. I'm teaching Year 6 for the first time, having previously taught Year 1. I desperately need to teach some narrative writing but am slightly confused as to what to teach. I'm supposed to be sticking to the Primary Framework but feel it's too narrow- e.g. stories with flashbacks.
    Any suggestions for story writing that will get my class excited AND teach them generic story writing features, grammar and punctuation etc.
    Your advice would be sooooo much appreciated

2. I'm teaching Year 6 for the first time, having previously taught Year 1. I desperately need to teach some narrative writing but am slightly confused as to what to teach. I'm supposed to be sticking to the Primary Framework but feel it's too narrow- e.g. stories with flashbacks.
    Any suggestions for story writing that will get my class excited AND teach them generic story writing features, grammar and punctuation etc.
    Your advice would be sooooo much appreciated

3. Can you link a unit to your topic so it will be something that builds on childrens' learning? If not, pick a book that they will love and build a unit around this e.g writing an alternative chapter. I've used Roald Dahl books many times, Michael Morpurgo and another favourite is SHORT! by Kevin Crossley-Holland. It's a fantastic collection of very short stories which had my class gripped and they couldn't wait to write their own.

4. Thank you for your advice. Have actually got all of the books you suggested.
    Was thinking about doing something linked to our Victorian topic. They've already written a discussion text and newspaper report based on children working in mills, so maybe that could be a way forward with narrative. Just panicking about covering all the narrative genres in the time I've got left! And having sufficient evidence, in case moderators come in. Aaargh!

5. Have they read Street Child? They could do lots of writing in role as Jackson, alternative chapters, endings etc. Great for drama activities to and exploring feelings.