1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help/advice for short course Functional Skills

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by remyk69, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Right, I'll try again.

I'm a D&T teacher who uses ICT a lot, however I don't feel confident teaching it as a subject. I have previously taught 1 out of 3 lessons to a Year 10 GCSE group and also taught the Yr9 course to 2 groups.

Next year I will be teaching the FS course to a year 10 group. I have downloaded the sample lessons from the Edexcel site and find it dry and boring. I suspect the kids will find it like this also unless I can come up with some ideas to make it more interesting.

As a D&T teacher I am used to working on long projects which include many different aspects and outcomes. I was hoping to find something similar which would allow more flair and imagination from the kids, whilst still covering the course requirements.

Can anyone offer any advice, or point me in the direction of resource ideas which I could adapt?

Whoever managed to get this thread pulled earlier today, I would appreciate you not making the response again. I am trying to ensure I give the best ICT course I can to my kids, as such, I will be spending more time on this than any of my D&T courses.

Thanks in advance.

PS, if the thread was pulled because of the link to an external website (the only reply I saw), don't respond, I have the website you suggested saved, thanks.

2. Right, I'll try again.

I'm a D&T teacher who uses ICT a lot, however I don't feel confident teaching it as a subject. I have previously taught 1 out of 3 lessons to a Year 10 GCSE group and also taught the Yr9 course to 2 groups.

Next year I will be teaching the FS course to a year 10 group. I have downloaded the sample lessons from the Edexcel site and find it dry and boring. I suspect the kids will find it like this also unless I can come up with some ideas to make it more interesting.

As a D&T teacher I am used to working on long projects which include many different aspects and outcomes. I was hoping to find something similar which would allow more flair and imagination from the kids, whilst still covering the course requirements.

Can anyone offer any advice, or point me in the direction of resource ideas which I could adapt?

Whoever managed to get this thread pulled earlier today, I would appreciate you not making the response again. I am trying to ensure I give the best ICT course I can to my kids, as such, I will be spending more time on this than any of my D&T courses.

Thanks in advance.

PS, if the thread was pulled because of the link to an external website (the only reply I saw), don't respond, I have the website you suggested saved, thanks.

3. I think the problem is that both the boards and us teachers believe that FS (ICT at least), will be canned soon, so nobody can be bothered to make the resources. There is nothing of note out there. What there is is thoroughly boring and disengaging, as indeed the specs are.
    Think about it. Only pupils doing Diplomas HAVE to do FS. It should be part of the KS4 curriculum, but many schools are trying to do it in KS3 (we tried that and got 90% failure rates, but we are going back to it in 2012). All schools must offer Diplomas. But not academies. And we are now an academy (as of 18 days ago). And so we will most likely drop Diplomas in 2012 for that cohort onwards. They are hideously expensive to run (transport costs in a rural location). As an academy we are also not obliged to follow the guidance that all students do ICT FS either.
    Add to that the cost of putting every pupil through at least twice to get the pass. Nuff said. I certainly am not wasting any sleep over preparing lessons and work schemes for it.

4. Jai_01

Jai_01 New commenter

Hi Remyk69,
    Teach-ICT has some FS resources which you can adapt and another useful site is what2learn.
    I hope this helps :)

5. In FE we will continue to deliver FS as it is mandatory on the Foundation Learning Tier. This is the last year key skills can be delivered for apprenticeships so next year colleges and training providers will have to deliver it to work-based learners too. Many FE resources can be adapted to schools.
    I am in the process of revising my SOW as we are busy moving everything to Moodle with online marking.
    Following this year's abysmal results of 49.7% (mine 76%) at L2 across the college we have a working group in place to identify weaknesses in delivery. So far the problem solving with spreadsheets seems to be the biggest weakness. Have found http://www.teachnet-uk.org.uk/2009%20Projects/ICT-Functional_Skills_1/fs_spreadsheets/index.htm which I am planning to adapt to vocational areas.
    Frustrating that I am delivering all 3 FunSkills (over 95% achivement for English and Maths at E1-L2) and now Wolf report recommends we deliver GCSEs!!!! Suspect FunSkills will disappear in a few years. I know my college is concerned apprentices are less likely to achieve FunSkills than key skills and, if this is the same nationwide, government will not want to see lots of failing apprenticeships.
    For resources search Functional Skills ICT Moodle and email those with pages - they may or may not send you bits but worth a try.
    Good luck!

6. finamar

finamar New commenter

I don't think this is the case any more. We certainly haven't offered it to Y10, we will just have Y11 completing it this year and then the diplomas will be gone!

7. Certainly Academies don't have to. Not sure about others. But I can see them dying really quickly now.

8. Thanks for the help/advice so far, it is appreciated.

9. But functional skills is Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy - if you have just taught them how to use a bleeding computer! (Or rather, how to use office software). Seriously - whilst I don't agree with dumbing down qualifications etc, just teach the children how to do a simple spreadsheet (for christ's sake, FS even tell them in the exam paper what forumla they need to use!), how to do a graph from that data, how to do a simple publication, how to write a letter in a word processorand they will pass with flying colours. Use any KS3 SoW, there was a lovely one I remember from my Secondary teaching days, the 'Coral Reef' Scheme we used with year 9s that covered all the bases, and was a lovely long termish plan -with a bit of room for creativity and taking it their own way, so probably perfect for what you are looking for from a D&T pov.
    And tell them to stop doing text speak in bleeding suposedly business letters - winds me right up when marking the papers! and will get them another mark straight away :)

10. The issue isn't whether the pupils have been taught it, or even if they know it. In the exam they don't DO it, and they fail. Time and time again. It IS SSOOOOOooooo easy. It is also SOoooooooo EASY to make a mistake and fail the exam. And, guess what? The pupils don't CARE whether they fail or not. They see the FS 'qualifications' as pointless. And they are right. You know it. I know it.