1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Advice / experiences needed - behaviour management

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ann_rummerz, Nov 30, 2019.

1. ann_rummerz

ann_rummerz New commenter

Hi folks, I'm training on a SCITT course, which started in September this year. My subject's ICT. I've just completed my 4th week of block practice in secondary & am really struggling with behaviour management, particularly years 7 & 8 and feel really unsure as to what's actually expected of me at this stage.
    I know full well I'm not good at behaviour management yet - it's not something I've ever had to do before. but after this last week, I'm wondering how I learn it, along with everything else there is to learn and do. Some of the feedback I've been getting has been helpful, otherwise, it feels like nothing is going right, which is outstandingly depressing.
    How much are we actually expected to know / be able to apply after 4 weeks of actually planning and teaching lessons?!?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. marrowf

marrowf New commenter

Hi

I am in my first placement too - I've found my with my year 7 and 8 that being much firmer and clear in your expectations really helps, I think they forget what is expected of them a lot too. I had to learn the hard way with behaviour getting to the near riot stage. Next lesson i just stated exactly what I expected and then used the school sanctions at every available opportunity BUT also I gave them all a positive point when they all behaved. Make sure you have lots of work that they can actually access so they aren't bored or overwhelmed.
    If it helps, no one expects you to be able to do anything, and this is a really hard few weeks up to christmas for everyone, you will get there - when something goes wrong ask your mentor or host teacher what they would have done - then try to implement something similar next time. Also don't forget you can do everything right (if you knew what that was) and there are still 30 people who will bring their day into your room and nothing might work :)

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Carltoz

Carltoz New commenter

Most important rule: They must not be talking (even quietly) if you are. If people are then stop and wait.
    If that doesn't stop them then sanction.

A lot of behaviour management is about having presence and that comes from self-confidence. Kids can sense lack of confidence like sharks can blood in the ocean. I sometimes imagine I am in a play- an actor on stage- and it's not the real uncertain me there.

Hope this helps.

MathMan1 and pepper5 like this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Both of the above posts are very helpful with good advice.

You have to act confidently and the the feelings of confidence will come.

So as the above posts explain, you have to firm and clear about what your expectations are. You may have to model or teach what you expect and I also agree that you need to ensure when you are speaking no one else is.

Look upon it as practice. Each lesson you will learn how to do it better and it is something you can learn.

Speak positively and give praise when earned.

In some ways you are in a good place since you yeach ICT which in my experience as a supply teacher, children enjoy.

MathMan1 likes this.