1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help- Activity for world book day!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cazzielou, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Our school is doing a rotation on world book day this year. Each class goes to different teachers for the day and does a book related activity. I have a year 3 class, year 5 and year 6. As a year 1/2 teacher I don't really have much of a clue as to what year 5 or 6 would enjoy doing, or indeed any books that they would enjoy reading. I only have 45 minutes with each class so it has to be something which is quite quick to introduce and do.
    Any ideas I would be very grateful!
    Thanks
    Caz

2. Hiya!
    Our upper KS2 have always enjoyed "speed book review." The idea is they bring their favourite book into school (they must be prepared to talk about why it is their fav). Children sit as a 'doughnut' inside ring facing outside ring. They have one /two minutes to convince the person opposite to try their book. The person listening should have make a note of the name of the book, author etc and give it a mark out of ten based on what they hear. The children have always enjoyed this fast pace activity and really become adament that others will give their book a high mark. Of course, we then encourage them to read the books they have rated highly.
    They move around the circle after time is up. An easy activity to organise, very enjoyable and worthwhile. Also, takes up more time than you think!!
    Holly