1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help about mat leave and return please

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by re181, Jan 19, 2018.

1. re181

re181 New commenter

Hi everyone,

So I’m really anxious about my return to work after my years maternity leave, which started last May. Ideally I don’t want to go back, but just can’t afford to pay back the money and have worked out that, with the holidays, I’ll only been working around 8 weeks. I don’t want to go back solely for the money but the 2 hour commute I used to do just isn’t feasible with a baby.

My questions:
    1. Can I stay off longer than my 52 weeks? For example, go back after half term?
    2. If I go back part time/ for less than 13 weeks then do I have to only repay some of the money? Or still pay all of it back because I haven’t met the minimum requirement?
    3. I want to be honest and upfront and notify my headteacher that I plan to return to work, but also give my notice to leave at the end of the academic year. Can I be penalised in any way for this? I’d feel better stating my intentions early, especially as my return date means I’d have to give notice just 2 weeks later (to meet the 31st May deadline) which feels wrong.
    I’d really appreciate some advice - but only if you’re sure, I’m relying on you all!

Thank you.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The time you return for includes any holidays. That means that if you return in May, you should be able to fit in the 13 weeks before the end of August. That would give you 13 weeks full pay and you get to keep the occupational maternity pay. However you would have to work out childcare for that half-term - you'll either need to find a nursery/childminder who doesn't mind such a short contract, or maybe it can be done by partner taking time off and grandparents coming to stay.

Usually the timing works out that returning at the start of the May/June half-term holiday is enough to get in the 13 weeks. You could apply for unpaid parental leave between the end of your maternity leave and then. I think the employer can suggest alternative dates, but hopefully they would agree to the request - it would probably make changeovers tidier if your maternity cover sees out the half-term.

No problem returning and also resigning, and no need to wait until after you've returned to put in the resignation. If you've decided, the school would probably prefer to know sooner rather than later, as they can get on with replacing you for September.

Of course, the school might decide to keep the maternity cover on permanently, in which case you might find they keep their timetable and you're deployed elsewhere for the half-term you're back.

3. re181

re181 New commenter

Thank you so so much for your reply, you’ve really helped. I will message my headteacher today and ask about the unpaid parental leave, fingers crossed!
    Thank you again.

4. sal1718

sal1718 New commenter

I left on the 15th of of June 2018. Officially my maternity started on the 18th of June. I am taking a year out and going back on the 15th of June 2019 However the 15th is on a Saturday. What day would I be due back to work?

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Monday 17th.