1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! A voice inside the computer keeps talking to me!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I haven't clicked on anything but a voice keeps telling me to look at today's top headlines. It keeps startling me. It's an American voice and is coming from a box on the R side of the screen. How can I control it? It just keeps spontaneously starting up. It's like the voice in the loo on Virgin trains that suddenly talks to you and makes you think there's someone hiding under the sink.

lindenlea likes this.
  2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I was just ranting about it to myself. Every time I refresh the page or click on another thread the voice starts up again. The video wasn't automatically played before today.

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

It's one of the adverts on the right hand side of the page. It's a news channel or something.

kibosh likes this.
  4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

But why does it keep starting up, ck?

5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

You've both got haunted computers!!

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I have one too...out of nowhere it starts talking and singing at me. I hate that damn thing sometimes.

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Yep, me too. I just muted the volume.

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

No it's me too! :(:mad:

I was showing, or trying to at least, marlin's video about the mountain biker and even he couldn't shut the newsfeed off. Don't usually have the sound on my computer so don't know if it's been happening before today, but it was incredibly annoying. Exacerbated by having several tabs open so there were multiple versions -not in sync :mad:!
    Please @TES_Rosaline or @TES_Community can something be done about it. It is very off-putting and could put people off visiting the site.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    josienig and coffeekid like this.
  9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I did too but I want rid of the thing altogether. What makes it start up?

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Check you haven't got the volume turned off @Dragonlady30 . I wasn't aware of the problem before I tried looking at a video link which needed sound!

11. josienig

josienig Star commenter

Me too!I looked in resources earlier at school and 5 mins later the voice started. I presumed I'd hit a news link inadvertently.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh god I've noticed these on US websites... haven't come across it on UK ones... suddenly a voice pops up out of nowhere and witters about some seleb nonsense!

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Also me. I checked my open windows and couldn't figure it out. Grrrrr.

14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

This is about a woman deliberately driving her car onto the 'sidewalk' in Los Angeles. :eek::mad:

15. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

u
    I only switch the volume on when I need it for something. Usually it's off.

racroesus likes this.
  16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It's a news advert that automatically loads and starts playing. I can only it see it/hear it when I'm on the Personal forum page.

17. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Yup me too - but no advert or anything appeared on the right hand side or any where. only disappeared when I closed everything down.
    Now just on edge waiting for the voice to return:eek:

18. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Turn off the speakers until you need them for something specific.

racroesus and Dragonlady30 like this.
  19. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Duke of York likes this.
  20. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I've had the news story too. :( I muted the volume.

:eek: What a nuisance!

Here's the link to Youtube, rather than an embedded video.