1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help...A query regarding teaching hours for AQA KS4 Science

Discussion in 'Science' started by tamajap, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hi everyone...

I am wondering if anyone can offer any advice on the following...

I am senior tech at a school in Sussex and we are currently teaching the AQA spec and have 9 hours per fortnight assigned to teach it in years 10 & 11 (they begin to teach the course in year 9 in order to get a head-start on it).
    The SLT are proposing that this be cut to 8 hours per fortnight from Sept '12. The course content, as it stands, is often condensed to fit it all into this timeframe, and if the cut in hours goes ahead we are all worried about the potential impact this could have on pupils progress and attainment. I am therefore wondering if it would be possible to get some feedback from other schools in the area where AQA is taught, to find out how many hours are allocated on the timetable for the subject and the impact this has/or has had on results.

2. Hi everyone...

I am wondering if anyone can offer any advice on the following...

I am senior tech at a school in Sussex and we are currently teaching the AQA spec and have 9 hours per fortnight assigned to teach it in years 10 & 11 (they begin to teach the course in year 9 in order to get a head-start on it).
    The SLT are proposing that this be cut to 8 hours per fortnight from Sept '12. The course content, as it stands, is often condensed to fit it all into this timeframe, and if the cut in hours goes ahead we are all worried about the potential impact this could have on pupils progress and attainment. I am therefore wondering if it would be possible to get some feedback from other schools in the area where AQA is taught, to find out how many hours are allocated on the timetable for the subject and the impact this has/or has had on results.

3. Look in the AQA specification. There will probably be a number of 'contact hours' suggested by the board, for proper coverage of the syllabus. Check to see how that matches what your pupils are getting over the 3 years.
    Comparisons of hours per week between schools is not always useful since schools may have different length terms, inset days, exam weeks at different times, trips & visits etc.
    We do not follow the AQA course, so any data from us would be pretty useless anyway!
    In any event, using exam board reccommendations gives you a stronger case for fixing timetable requirements than what other schools get up to.

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

My centre does AQA. We have 10 hour per fortnight for Core / Additional and for Triple pupils with 6 per fortnight for pupils taking core only. 10 hours is tough for triple scientists but about right for those taking 2 GCSEs. 6 hours is probably too much for one GCSE only